Serbian Maritime Protection Team Joins Operation Atalanta in Djibouti to Continue EU NAVFOR’s Protection of WFP Vessels Delivering Food Aid to People of SomaliaAugust 17, 2017 - 08:47
Operation Atalanta’s latest Maritime Protection Team (MPT) from Serbia has arrived in Djibouti to take over the protection of World Food Programme (WFP) vessel, MV Esbjerg, from the team from Montenegro. The highly trained Serbian team was welcomed to the EU’s counter-piracy operation by the Support Element Atalanta Officer-in-Command, Commander Jean-Marc Stervinou (French Navy). After […]
Spanish Deputy Head of Mission Mr Fonseca Sanchez Welcomed Aboard ESPS Rayo During Recent Port Visit to MuscatAugust 16, 2017 - 08:40
During their recent port visit to Muscat, ESPS Rayo’s ship’s company welcomed aboard the Deputy Head of Mission and Chargé D’affaires and interim Embassy of Spain in Muscat, Mr Luis Fonseca Sanchez. During the visit Mr Fonseca was given a briefing on the European Union’s counter-piracy operation off the coast of Somalia and Spain’s continuing […]
Montenegrin Maritime Protection Team Awarded European Union Common Security and Defence Policy Medal for Successful Protection of WFP vessels off Coast of SomaliaAugust 15, 2017 - 08:53
On Thursday 11 August 2017 the EU Naval Force Montenegrin Maritime Protection team, which has been embarked on World Food Programme (WFP) vessel, MV Esbjerg, to protect it from pirate attack as it sailed along the Somali coast, has been awarded the Operation Atalanta medal for their outstanding efforts. The Maritime Protection team, which is […]
ITS Fasan Takes Her Turn Having Her Tanks Refuelled by USNS KanawhaAugust 14, 2017 - 08:56
Earlier this month USNS Kanawha replenished ITS Fasan of EU NAVFOR Operation Atalanta at sea (RAS). Having sailed into the counter-piracy sea areas in the Gulf of Aden, the flag ship of Operation Atalanta, ITS Fasan went alongside USNS Kanawha to replenish fuel and stores in preparation for her continued deployment with the EU Naval […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||410|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,483,4463|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.