EU Naval Force Deliver Medical Stores to MogadishuOctober 19, 2017 - 09:13
After the recent bombings in Mogadishu, Somalia, EU Naval Force has provided medical supplies to the UN to support Somali casualties. The Spanish SH60B helicopter, from ESPS RAYO, was loaded with high priority medical stores and equipment, as requested by the UN, in order to support the immediate needs in Mogadishu. The stores were received […]
ITS Fasan’s work continues in DjiboutiOctober 16, 2017 - 12:44
ITS Fasan has remained busy and committed to more work alongside maritime counterparts in Djibouti. Ongoing activity has seen skills sharing in areas such as own Force Protection, Counter Improvised Explosive Device exercises and Basic Life Support with the Djiboutian Coast Guard. The training was a great opportunity for the Djiboutian Coast Guard to refine […]
ESPS Rayo Welcomes Key Seychellois LeadersOctober 12, 2017 - 16:50
In early October ESPS Rayo visited the Seychelles to meet with key leaders and Security Forces. In parallel to the RAYO visit an important dialogue between the European Union and the Seychelles Government has been taking place and the opportunity was taken to host members of the EU Heads of Missions within the Region and […]
Force Commander’s Flying Visit to DjiboutiOctober 12, 2017 - 09:02
In early October Operation Atalanta’s Force Commander Rear Admiral Fabio Gregori visited Djibouti to meet with the Spanish Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPRA) detachment and the Head of the EU Delegation to Djibouti, Adam Kulach. During the visit the Force Commander also met with staff at a medical facility and was shown a decompression chamber used […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||424|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,562,3293|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.