ESPS Relampago Hosts Minister of Defence, Military Officers and School Children During Visit to MadagascarFebruary 17, 2017 - 10:09
During a busy port visit to Antsiranana, Madagascar, the commanding officer of ESPS Relampago, Lieutenant Commander Francisco Garcia Flores, welcomed the Minister of Defence and senior military officers on board. After a tour of the ship, the guests were invited to sign the ship’s visitors’ book. ESPS Relampago’s crew also took the opportunity to conduct […]
The European Union Welcomes Contribution of Republic of Korea Warship Choi Young to EU Naval Force’s Counter-Piracy Operation in the Gulf of AdenFebruary 16, 2017 - 15:00
In March 2017 the Republic of Korea’s warship, Choi Young, will join the European Union’s counter-piracy operation off the coast of Somalia, EU NAVFOR Somalia – Operation Atalanta. The Choi Young will partner EU NAVFOR warships to prevent acts of piracy such as those that plagued the waters off the coast of Somalia just a […]
Another Busy Day for ESPS Relampago – On Exercise with Kenyan Navy Sailors to Help Keeps Seafarers SafeFebruary 14, 2017 - 12:40
Whilst operating in the southern Indian Ocean, Spanish marines and sailors from Operation Atalanta’s warship, ESPS Relampago, took the opportunity to exercise with sailors from the Kenyan Navy boat squadrons off Manda Island. The training included briefings and exercises on search and rescue, helicopter operations and boarding a vessel that is suspected of being involved […]
Operation Atalanta Warship ESPS Relampago Trains with AMISOM’s Marine Unit off Coast of MogadishuFebruary 8, 2017 - 15:11
During their counter-piracy patrols off the coast of Somalia, Spanish marines and sailors from Operation Atalanta’s warship, ESPS Relampago, took the opportunity to train with AMISOM’s marine unit close to the port of Mogadishu. The training included briefings and exercises on boat handling, search and rescue, first aid and boarding a vessel at sea that […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||408|
|amisom vessels protected||138|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,293,4253|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.