Operation Atalanta Spanish Maritime Patrol Aircraft and Warship ESPS Relampago Work with Japanese Aircrew to Rescue Two Men from Upturned Skiffs in Gulf of AdenDecember 6, 2016 - 19:30
On Tuesday 6 December 2016 Spanish sailors from EU NAVFOR warship, ESPS Relampago, rescued two men at sea after they become stranded on two upturned skiffs twenty four miles north of the island of Socotra in the Gulf of Aden. The men had been sighted at first light by the aircrew of a Japanese Maritime […]
Dutch Flagship HNLMS Tromp Heads for Home after Successful Counter-Piracy Deployment with Operation Atalanta off Coast of SomaliaDecember 6, 2016 - 09:16
On Tuesday 6 December Dutch flagship HNLMS Tromp started her long journey back to her home port of Den Helder in the Netherlands after completing a four month deployment with the European Union’s counter-piracy operation, Atalanta off the coast of Somalia. During her deployment, the Royal Netherlands Navy Air Defence frigate has sailed over 25,000 […]
Operation Atalanta Spanish Warship ESPS Relampago Conducts Maritime Training with Somaliland Coastguard Close to Port of BerberaDecember 5, 2016 - 12:48
On Saturday 3 December ESPS Relampago conducted maritime training with members of the Somaliland Coastguard. The training included radar and Search and Rescue (SAR) training. During the day, Admiral Adbi Hersi from the Somaliland Coastguard was hosted on board ESPS Relampago by the ship’s Commanding Officer. Collaboration and training between Operation Atalanta and regional naval […]
Operation Atalanta Force Commander Bids Farewell to Spanish Sailors Aboard ESPS RelámpagoDecember 5, 2016 - 12:12
As the Operation Atalanta flagship, HNLMS Tromp, and her embarked Force Headquarters staff prepare to leave the EU counter-piracy operation and return to The Netherlands, the Force Commander made a final trip to ESPS Relámpago to bid farewell to Spanish colleagues. Both the Dutch and Spanish warships have been working closely together over the last […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||394|
|amisom vessels protected||133|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,291,3043|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.