Spanish Maritime Patrol Aircraft Contingents Hold Handover Ceremony in DjiboutiJuly 28, 2016 - 08:42
On Tuesday 27 July 2016 the Spanish Orion Air Contingent XXV, commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Rafael Saiz Quevedo, completed a successful four month deployment with Operation Atalanta off the coast of Somalia. Detachment XXVI will be commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Juan Ferrero. The handover ceremony was presided over by Colonel Manuel Ojeda from the Spanish […]
Multi-Ship Refueling Keeps Operation Atalanta Warships on Patrol off the Coast of SomaliaJuly 27, 2016 - 10:31
Operation Atalanta’s warships are deployed off the coast of Somalia to ensure that the pirate attacks that terrorized seafarers in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden for a number of years are not allowed to resurge. In order to ensure that the EU NAVFOR warships are able to maintain their counter-piracy patrols for longer […]
Last Flight with Operation Atalanta for 25th Rotation of Spanish Maritime Air Patrol ‘Orion’ DetachmentJuly 26, 2016 - 16:34
In just a few hours time the men and woman of the 25th rotation of Spanish Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Air (MPRA) “Orion” Detachment will return home after completing a successful counter-piracy aerial patrol mission with Operation Atalanta off the coast of Somalia. Deployed to Djibouti from their home port in Spain for the last […]
Operation Atalanta’s Spanish Warship on Exercise with Seychelles’ ForcesJuly 19, 2016 - 08:39
Spanish Warship ESPS Santa Maria recently enjoyed a break from her counter-piracy patrolling and had five days alongside in Port Victoria, the capital of the Seychelles, on Mahe Island. Whilst there, the crew of ESPS Santa Maria took the opportunity to conduct training exercises with the Seychelles Air Force, Coastguard and Maritime Police Units. The […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2016 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
So far in 2016 there have been no piracy incidents.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||382|
|amisom vessels protected||130|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,162,4963|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.