EU NAVFOR SAILOR’S MEDALSMarch 5, 2018 - 15:35
An EU NAVFOR Sailor working in the Operational Headquarters in Northwood has received a combination of medals for Long Service, Good Conduct and support to Operation Atalanta. Petty Officer (PO) St Clair Renroy ‘Richie’ Richardson from the UK’s Royal Navy has completed a five month tour of duty at EU NAVFOR and received his EU […]
PARTNERSHIP, COOPERATION, COORDINATIONMarch 5, 2018 - 11:22
Between EU NAVFOR and Combined Maritime Forces there are 52 nations that are providing support to ongoing counter-piracy, maritime security and protection of World Food Programme tasks off the coast of Somalia, in the Gulf of Aden and into the Somali Basin. As part of this work EU NAVFOR’s Spanish Warship ESPS Patiño has been […]
EU NAVFOR SUPPORT DJIBOUTIAN ARMED FORCESMarch 1, 2018 - 13:36
EU NAVFOR’s warship ESPS Patiño has conducted capacity building with Djiboutian Armed Forces during a recent port visit. Soldiers from the Djiboutian Armed Forces visited the EU Naval Force Warship ESPS PATIÑO on the morning of 27th February 2018 to improve their skills during Local Maritime Capacity Building (LMCB). The ship’s military boarding and medical […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||437|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,694,0743|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.