Spanish Marines Put Through Their Paces On Board Operation Atalanta’s Flagship ESPS GaliciaMay 24, 2017 - 09:23
Over the weekend Spanish Marines on board ESPS Galicia carried out extensive training on board as the crew and embarked battle staff maintain their vigilance in deterring piracy off the coast of Somalia. The European Union Naval Force’s (@EUNAVFOR) key role is to deter and disrupt acts of piracy against merchant ships as they transit […]
EU NAVFOR ITALIAN WARSHIP ITS ESPERO TRAINS WITH SEYCHELLES DEFENCE FORCES AND WELCOMES CHIEF OF STAFF ON BOARD DURING VISIT TO PORT VICTORIAMay 23, 2017 - 12:16
During their recent port visit to the Seychelles, EU NAVFOR warship, ITS Espero, took the opportunity to carry out training with teams from the Seychelles Air Force and Marine Police Unit. The training included briefings on boarding a suspect vessel and helicopter operations at sea. The Seychellois teams showed great enthusiasm and appreciation for the […]
EU NAVFOR Flagship ESPS Galicia Maintains Counter-Piracy Watch off Coast of SomaliaMay 20, 2017 - 09:00
Spanish warship, ESPS Galicia, is currently operating off the coast of Somalia as part of the European Union’s efforts to deter piracy, protect World Food Programme vessels and to provide reassurance to merchant vessels as they transit the key trade routes of the Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean, delivering cargo to and from Europe. […]
EU NAVFOR’s Spanish Maritime Patrol Aircraft and Flagship ESPS Galicia Meet at Sea off Coast of SomaliaMay 19, 2017 - 08:18
During their counter-piracy aerial patrols along the coast of Somalia the aircrew from EU NAVFOR’s Spanish Air Force Maritime Patrol Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA) took the opportunity to overfly and make radio contact with their fellow countrymen aboard EU NAVFOR’s flagship, ESPS Galicia. The Spanish Armed Forces have made a significant and continuous contribution to Operation […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||407|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,468,9463|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.