EU NAVFOR confirms MT Leopard Sun attacked 160 nautical miles off the central coast of Somalia.February 23, 2018 - 16:15
On 23rd February at 0030 local time, the Motor Tanker Leopard Sun was attacked by two skiffs 160 nautical miles off the coast of Somalia. The Singapore flagged 50,000 metric tonne chemical tanker was en route from Sohar, Sultanate of Oman to Cape Town, South Africa when the incident occurred. The skiffs approached the MT […]
EU NAVFOR SUPPORT TO CTF-151 WARSHIPFebruary 22, 2018 - 13:56
An EU NAVFOR Warship has provided vital supplies to a Warship of Combined Task Force (CTF) 151 off the coast of Somalia. EU NAVFOR’s Spanish Warship ESPS Patiño provided the Pakistan Navy Ship (PNS) Saif with fuel and water during a Replenishment at Sea (RAS). ESPS Patiño and PNS Saif have been operating around the […]
JAPANESE CONTINUE RELATIONS WITH EU NAVFORFebruary 20, 2018 - 09:29
European and Japanese counter piracy forces based in Djibouti have continued to operate alongside each other during handover and changes. The Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF), the EU NAVFOR Support Element Atalanta (SEA) and Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPRA) detachments have seen new leadership in their respective headquarters which has led to the opportunity to […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||436|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,694,0743|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.