Serbian Marines Protect World Food Programme Merchant Vessel EsbjergSeptember 25, 2017 - 08:47
During September EU NAVFOR’s Serbian Marines have been embarked on the World Food Programme (WFP) MV Esbjerg, to protect it from pirate attack as it sails along the Somali coast. This highly capable team is known as an Autonomous Vessel Protection Detachment (AVPD) by EU NAVFOR. They are on a current deployment to Operation Atalanta […]
EU NAVFOR Flagship Port Visit to Antsiranana, MadagascarSeptember 21, 2017 - 11:22
On 14 September, EU NAVFOR flagship, ITS Fasan’s visited Antsiranana port in Madagascar. During the visit the EU NAVFOR Force Commander, Rear Admiral Fabio Gregori, met the President of the Republic of Madagascar, His Excellency Hery Martial Rajaonarimampianina Rakotoarimanana. The President expressed his appreciation for the European Union’s commitment to maritime safety in the region and […]
EU Naval Force builds Malagasy Navy capacitySeptember 20, 2017 - 09:14
On 14 September, during her port visit to Antsiranana, the EU Naval Force warship, ITS Fasan, conducted Local Maritime Capacity Building (LMCB) training with personnel from the Malagasy Navy. Italian Marines from ITS Fasan provided instruction in techniques for the safe detainment of those suspected of piracy or armed robbery, comprising of both theoretical and […]
Operation Atalanta Ship HNLMS Rotterdam Conducts Her First Friendly ApproachSeptember 19, 2017 - 14:00
On Sunday 17th September 2017, Dutch Navy warship, HNLMS Rotterdam, carried out her first friendly approach with local Somali fishermen since she joined Operation Atalanta. The warship was conducting counter-piracy patrols along the Somali coast as part of the European Union’s efforts to help make the waters in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||423|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,528,1773|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.