Operation Atalanta Warship ESPS Relampago Trains with Tanzanian Navy and Police During Port Visit to Dar es SalaamJanuary 17, 2017 - 16:31
During their port visit to Dar Es Salaam, sailors and marines from Operation Atalanta’s warship, ESPS Relampago, took the opportunity to train with members of the Tanzanian Police Force and Navy. The four days of training included briefings on stop and search, boarding operations, navigation, ship maintenance and boat handling procedures. Maritime training with regional […]
Commodore Hadyn Edmonson from Combined Task Force 150 Piped Aboard EU Naval Force Spanish Warship ESPS RelampagoJanuary 16, 2017 - 14:36
The crew of EU Naval Force Spanish warship, ESPS Relampago, were delighted to welcome aboard Commodore Hadyn Edmonson Royal Canadian Navy, during their port visit to Tanzania. During his visit Commodore Edmonson, who took command of Combined Task Force 150, based in Bahrain, in early December, went below deck to meet the sailors and marines […]
Operation Atalanta Spanish Warship ESPS Relampago Hosts EU Ambassadors Alongside Dar es Salaam in TanzaniaJanuary 16, 2017 - 10:34
On Friday 13 January 2017 the Commanding Officer of Operation Atalanta warship, ESPS Relampago, Lieutenant Commander Francisco Garcia Flores, welcomed EU Member State Ambassadors aboard during a port visit to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania. The visit was an opportunity to update the Ambassadors from Denmark, Germany, Italy, Spain and The Netherlands on the European […]
Croatian Maritime Protection Team Awarded EU Operation Atalanta Medal for Keeping WFP Vessel MSM Douro Safe from Pirates off Coast of SomaliaJanuary 13, 2017 - 11:26
Earlier this week Operation Atalanta’s Croatian Maritime Protection Team was awarded the Common Security and Defence Policy service medal in recognition of their outstanding work off the coast of Somalia as part of the EU’s counter-piracy Operation Atalanta. The highly trained Croatian team has been aboard the World Food Programme (WFP) chartered vessel, MSM Douro, […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||408|
|amisom vessels protected||138|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,293,4253|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.