EU NAVFOR SUPPORTING COMBINED MARITIME FORCESJanuary 10, 2018 - 13:37
Operation Atalanta’s Spanish warship, ESPS Patiño has conducted a busy period of further support to Bahrain based Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) ships during a transit into the Indian Ocean, a series of Replenishment at Sea (RAS) tasks were conducted whilst she continued on her own EU NAVFOR counter-piracy duties. The flexibility of Patiño was demonstrated […]
Lithuanian’s Complete First World Food Programme VoyageJanuary 2, 2018 - 10:37
During their maiden voyage, EU Naval Force’s Lithuanian Autonomous Vessel Protection Detachment (AVPD) has conducted a live firing exercise on board a World Food Programme (WFP) ship, MV Esbjerg. The exercise took place as MV Esbjerg was en route delivering humanitarian aid to the Somali people. The Lithuanian forces AVPD provide a valuable counter piracy […]
Continued CMF, EU NAVFOR Cooperation off the coast of SomaliaDecember 28, 2017 - 12:38
On the 23rd December, EU NAVFOR’s Spanish Warship ESPS Patiño met up with CTF151 Pakistan Warship (PNS) Tippu Sultan, to continue counter-piracy operations at sea off the Somali Coast. Their cooperation in this major maritime trade route is no coincidence. To maintain durability and a presence even through the festive season, the respective counter-piracy missions […]
EU NAVFOR Operation Commander meets with Djiboutian AuthoritiesDecember 22, 2017 - 10:09
Major General Charlie Stickland, EU NAVFOR Operation Commander recently visited His Excellency (H.E) Adam Kulach, Head of the EU Delegation to the Republic of Djibouti and H.E Mahmoud Ali Youssuf, Djiboutian Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation in Djibouti. During the meetings the General raised the importance of the continued effort to suppress and […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||446|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,642,6533|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.