Operation Atalanta’s Spanish Warship on Exercise with Seychelles’ ForcesJuly 19, 2016 - 08:39
Spanish Warship ESPS Santa Maria recently enjoyed a break from her counter-piracy patrolling and had five days alongside in Port Victoria, the capital of the Seychelles, on Mahe Island. Whilst there, the crew of ESPS Santa Maria took the opportunity to conduct training exercises with the Seychelles Air Force, Coastguard and Maritime Police Units. The […]
Djiboutian Air Force Flying Visit to Operation Atalanta’s Spanish Maritime Patrol DetachmentJuly 18, 2016 - 14:19
On 16 July 2016, the Chief of Staff (COS) of the Djiboutian Air Force, Major Ismail Abdigani Mahamad visited the Spanish Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA) Detachment. He flew on a mission in support of Operation Atalanta aboard the Spanish P-3 to gain insight into the work of the crews and their vital contribution […]
EU Naval Force Welcomes Third Successful Conviction in 2016 of Armed Pirates who Terrorised Seafarers off the Coast of SomaliaJuly 14, 2016 - 14:13
The European Union’s counter-piracy EU Naval Force has welcomed the conviction earlier today of twelve men after they were found guilty by the Mauritian Court of attempting to carry out an act of piracy against a merchant ship, MSC Jasmine, on 5 January 2013. The successful conviction came after prosecution lawyers in the Republic of […]
Somali Deputy Prime Minister Visits Operation Atalanta Flagship FGS BayernJuly 8, 2016 - 13:34
During FGS Bayern’s recent port visit to Djibouti, Operation Atalanta’s Force Commander, Rear Admiral Kaack, welcomed the Deputy Prime Minister of Somalia, Mohamed Omar Arte, on board. It was the first time that the Deputy Prime Minister has visited the German warship and he was received on board with full military honours. Following a guided […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2016 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
So far in 2016 there have been no piracy incidents.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||382|
|amisom vessels protected||130|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,162,4963|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.