Italian Navy Frigate ITS Espero Joins EU Naval Force off Coast of SomaliaMarch 25, 2017 - 18:46
On Saturday 25th March the Italian Navy Maestrale class frigate, ITS Espero, joined the EU Naval Force off the coast of Somalia. Commanded by Commander Luigi Pirozzi, prior to departing their base port in Taranto, Italy, ITS Espero’s sailors and marines carried out intensive operational sea and counter-piracy training. This is the second time that […]
EU Naval Force Calls for Vigilance Following Reports that a Dhow May Have Been Seized off the East Coast of SomaliaMarch 24, 2017 - 18:21
EU Naval Force staff are currently liaising with Somali and counter-piracy partners to verify reports that a dhow has been seized by a possible pirate action group off the north-eastern coast of Somalia. EU Naval Force will issue more details once more information is known. In light of the recent pirating of fuel tanker, MT […]
EU Naval Force Spanish and French Warships Conduct Combined Counter-Piracy Patrols off Coast of Somalia to Deter Pirate Attacks and Help Keep Seafarers SafeMarch 24, 2017 - 10:02
During the past week the EU Naval Force Spanish flagship, ESPS Galicia, and French frigate, FS Courbet, have conducted combined counter-piracy patrols off the coast of Somalia. EU Naval Force warships, helicopters and maritime patrol aircraft carry out coordinated patrols along the Somali coast and further out to sea on a regular basis. These patrols […]
EU Naval Force Spanish Flagship ESPS Galicia Greets Somali Fishermen During Sea Patrols to Deter Armed Pirate AttacksMarch 20, 2017 - 16:11
Following the recent pirate attack on the Comoros-flagged fuel tanker, MT Aris 13, EU Naval Force warships and maritime patrol aircraft have been continuing their counter-piracy patrols off the coast of Somalia. During the weekend Spanish marines from the EU Naval Force flagship, ESPS Galicia, took the opportunity to speak to local Somali fishermen in […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||406|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,332,0573|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||1|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.