Operation Atalanta’s Flagship Visit to Muscat Helps to Strengthen Regional Cooperation with Royal Navy of OmanJune 22, 2016 - 11:11
Operation Atalanta’s German flagship, FGS Bayern, recently spent time alongside in the port of Muscat in Oman. During the visit, the Force Commander, Rear Admiral Kaack, was invited to spend time with the Royal Navy of Oman. The visit was an opportunity to update delegates from the Royal Navy of Oman about Operation Atalanta and […]
Orion Detachment Support Centre in Djibouti – A Focal Point for Spanish Maritime Air OperationsJune 17, 2016 - 11:46
Always alert – the Spanish Mission Support Centre, based in Djibouti, is responsible for the planning and monitoring of the Orion Detachment’s flying missions and for the management of information and intelligence gathered in support of Operation Atalanta counter-piracy operation off the coast of Somalia. Operations, intelligence and photo interpretation – these three sections are […]
Operation Atalanta’s German Maritime Air Detachment Fly Home Having Helped to Keep Seas Safe from Pirate AttackJune 15, 2016 - 10:47
Operation Atalanta’s current German Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA) detachment has been deployed in Djibouti for the past three months. With the pilots, engineering and support crews reaching the end of their deployment, they will return home to their air base in Germany. During their deployment, the German MPRA has provided the Force Commander, […]
Operation Atalanta on Exercise with Japanese NavyJune 9, 2016 - 11:55
Whilst in the Gulf of Aden recently, Operation Atalanta’s Spanish warship ESPS Santa Maria participated in an exercise with units from the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF), JS Yuudachi and JS Yuugiri. The three warships sailed together in close formation and their Seahawk helicopters took the opportunity to practise cross-deck landings. In order […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2016 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
So far in 2016 there have been no piracy incidents.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||382|
|amisom vessels protected||130|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,162,4963|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.