Operation Atalanta and Chinese Navy Work Together to Ensure World Food Programme Ship Remains Safe from PiratesMay 26, 2016 - 17:14
After the successful cooperation with the EU’s counter-piracy operational headquarters (OHQ) and the Chinese Navy warship, CNS Xiangtan, a World Food Programme (WFP) vessel, Evangelia L, has arrived safely in the port of Berbera. Evangelia L had been chartered by the WFP to carry humanitarian aid to the Somali port. After phone calls between the […]
Operation Atalanta Lithuanian Maritime Protection Team Return Home Having Ensured WFP Humanitarian Aid for Somali People Remained Safe from PiratesMay 25, 2016 - 16:52
On Wednesday 25 May the Lithuanian Maritime Protection Team that has been on board World Food Programme (WFP), MSM Douro, for nearly six months as part of Lithuania’s contribution to the European Union’s counter-piracy operation off the coast of Somalia, departed the WFP ship after it arrived safely into Djibouti. During their time on board […]
Wow! 25 Missions & 210 flying Hours Completed for Spanish Counter-Piracy Maritime Air Patrol CrewMay 25, 2016 - 11:49
On Sunday 22 May 2016 the crew of the current, and indeed 46th Spanish Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA) ‘Orion’ Detachment based in Djibouti, completed a two-month tour off the coast of Somalia. As they head for home, a new crew of Spanish Air Force pilots, cabin crew, maintenance and medical staff are […]
Operation Atalanta Sailors Remember the Fallen of WW1 During Port Visit to Dar Es SalaamMay 24, 2016 - 09:25
During their recent port visit to Tanzania, Operation Atalanta sailors gathered together with the Mayor of Dar Es Salaam to remember those who gave their lives during the First World War. At the cemetery for Commonwealth and German soldiers, the Operation Atalanta Force Commander, Rear Admiral Jan Kaack, together with the Mayor of Dar Es Salaam, […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2016 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
So far in 2016 there have been no piracy incidents.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||379|
|amisom vessels protected||130|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,146,9963|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.