EU NAVFOR protecting World Food Programme shipments to SomaliaJune 20, 2018 - 15:48
Two-thirds of all refugees come from just five countries – Somalia, Myanmar, South Sudan, Afghanistan and Syria. EU NAVFOR joins the United Nations Refugee Agency in recognising World Refugee Day, to commemorate the strength, courage and perseverance of millions of refugees. Since the start of Operation Atalanta in 2008, EU NAVFOR has protected over 1.7 […]
US NAVY SUPPORTS EU NAVFOR WITH REPLENISHMENT AT SEAJune 18, 2018 - 14:35
In the spirit of fostering continued cooperation between international partners and to support counter-piracy operations in the region, US tanker USNS Bighorn has conducted a Replenishment At Sea with EU NAVFOR Spanish warship ESPS Meteoro. Replenishment at Sea (RAS) is the most efficient way of fueling warships and removes the need for them to enter […]
Continued collaboration and support from Serbia to Operation AtalantaJune 14, 2018 - 16:00
Cooperation and partnerships remain critical to the success of Operation Atalanta. Serbia’s contribution of military personnel not only to the Operational Headquarters in London but also deployed off the coast of Somalia on World Food Programme (WFP) vessels remains vital to keeping piracy repressed. EU NAVFOR’s Deputy Commander, Rear Admiral Alfonso Nanclares has met with […]
Heavyweight Spanish warships supporting EU NAVFORJune 14, 2018 - 09:19
Cooperation is vital in order to deter piracy and to protect vulnerable shipping, such asWorld Food Programme vessels. European warships often transit the Horn of Africa and the Gulf of Aden conducting maritime patrols, and this gives them the opportunity to directly support EU NAVFOR. EU NAVFOR Italian Flagship ITS Carlo Margottini has rendezvoused with […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||439|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,766,4973|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.