Spain’s Chief of Defence Staff Visits EU NAVFOR Spanish Aircrew in DjiboutiJune 23, 2017 - 08:46
Spain’s Chief of Defence Staff, Army General Fernando Alejandre Martínez, recently took time to visit the Spanish Maritime Air Detachment at their base in Djibouti. During his visit, he thanked them for their outstanding support to the European Union’s counter-piracy efforts off the coast of Somalia. A Spanish Maritime Patrol Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA) has been […]
EU NAVFOR Sailors from ITS ESPERO Invite EU Ambassadors On Board and Meet Crew From World Food Programme Ship During Port Visit to TanzaniaJune 22, 2017 - 10:56
Italian Navy warship, ITS Espero, recently visited the port of Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania. During the visit ITS Espero’s commanding officer, Commander Luigi Pirozzi, had the privilege of inviting on board the head of the EU delegation to Tanzania, H.E. Roeland van de Geer, as well as Ambassadors from Italy, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Ireland, […]
Crews from Republic of Korea Warship ROKS Choi Young and EU NAVFOR’s ESPS Galicia Train Together and Share Information During Counter-Piracy Patrols at SeaJune 21, 2017 - 08:41
The Republic of Korea warship, ROKS Choi Young, recently completed her second term of support to EU NAVFOR off the coast of Somalia as part of South Korea’s efforts to deter piracy and provide reassurance at sea to masters and crews of merchant vessels as they transit across the region. During her last week of […]
Montenegrin Maritime Protection Team Carries Out Casualty Evacuation Exercise Aboard World Food Programme Vessel MV EsbjergJune 20, 2017 - 08:43
EU NAVFOR’s highly trained Montenegrin maritime protection team are currently deployed on board the World Food Programme (WFP) vessel, MV Esbjerg, to protect its valuable humanitarian aid cargo from any potential pirate attack as it sails close to the coast to deliver much-needed food to the people of Somalia. In order to ensure that the […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||410|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,483,4463|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.