Spanish Unmanned Aerial Vehicle ‘Scan Eagle’ Contributes to Operation Atalanta’s Close Monitoring of Somali Coastline for Pirate ActivityMarch 29, 2017 - 17:49
A crew from Spain’s 11th Squadron, which is usually based in Cadiz, is currently deployed with Operation Atalanta, together with their Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), Scan Eagle. During ESPS Galicia’s patrols off the Somali coast, the UAV crew have been busy conducting air surveillance and reconnaissance patrols using Scan Eagle from the deck of ESPS […]
ESPS Galicia’s Medical Team Conduct Casualty Evacuation Training off Somali CoastMarch 28, 2017 - 18:02
The medical team on board Operation Atalanta’s flagship, ESPS Galicia, regularly conduct medical exercises at sea to ensure that they remain fully prepared to deal with medical emergencies. With state of the art facilities on board, the team can carry out a range of medical procedures, from basic first aid to life-saving surgery and stabilization […]
Operation Atalanta Force Commander Rafael Fernández-Pintado Muñoz-Rojas Visits French Warship FS Courbet During EU Naval Force PatrolsMarch 28, 2017 - 08:15
The EU Naval Force has been operating off the coast of Somalia since 2008 to deter pirate attacks. During one of their recent patrols, Force Commander, Rear Admiral Rafael Fernández-Pintado Muñoz-Rojas, took the opportunity to cross-deck from his flagship, ESPS Galicia, to French frigate, FS Courbet to meet the commanding officer and his crew and […]
Italian Navy Frigate ITS Espero Joins EU Naval Force off Coast of SomaliaMarch 25, 2017 - 18:46
On Saturday 25th March the Italian Navy Maestrale class frigate, ITS Espero, joined the EU Naval Force off the coast of Somalia. Commanded by Commander Luigi Pirozzi, prior to departing their base port in Taranto, Italy, ITS Espero’s sailors and marines carried out intensive operational sea and counter-piracy training. This is the second time that […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||406|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,332,0573|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||1|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.