Major General Stickland Visits Spanish MPRA In DjiboutiAugust 15, 2018 - 13:14
EU NAVFOR’s Operation Commander, Major General Charlie Stickland visited the Spanish MPRA detachment in Djibouti to discuss the current operational climate and prominent issues. Maritime patrol and reconnaissance aircraft (MPRA) provide naval assets with a variety of capabilities making EU NAVFOR resilient and agile. They do this by monitoring developments and providing maritime situational awareness, […]
ESPS Castilla supports Somali fishermenAugust 9, 2018 - 15:18
On the 8th August 2018, EU NAVFOR’s new flagship, ESPS Castilla, carried out her first friendly approach with local Somali fishermen since she joined Operation Atalanta. ESPS Castilla started conducting counter-piracy patrols along the Somali coast as part of the European Union’s efforts to help make the waters in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of […]
EU NAVFOR discusses counter-piracy tactics with Chinese Naval ForcesAugust 8, 2018 - 14:54
EU NAVFOR’s Operation Commander, Major General Charlie Stickland, met Senior Captain Liang Yang, Commanding Officer of the Chinese PLA (People’s Liberation Army) Support Base in Djibouti, onboard EU NAVFOR’s new flagship, the ESPS Castilla on Mon 6 August 2018. There they held discussions on how to continue and improve the ongoing counter-piracy efforts off the […]
Spain takes Command of EU NAVFOR Force HeadquartersAugust 6, 2018 - 14:28
On Monday 6 August 2018, Major General Charlie Stickland oversaw the Change of Command ceremony, where Rear Admiral Alfonso Nanclares (Spanish Navy), assumed command of Operation Atalanta’s Force Headquarters (FHQ) from Rear Admiral Simone Malvagna (Italian Navy), during a ceremony held on board ITS Carlo Margottini in Djibouti. The FHQ will be embarked on EU NAVFOR’s […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||439|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,792,7763|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.