EU NAVFOR focusses counter-piracy efforts in Mombasa, KenyaMay 21, 2018 - 16:53
EU NAVFOR has been bringing EU and regional partners together to focus on counter-piracy and maritime security as efforts continue to build on a more secure maritime environment. From 17th to 19th May 2018, the flagship of EU NAVFOR’s Operation Atalanta, ITS Carlo Margottini, made a logistic and operational stop in the port of Mombasa, […]
EU NAVFOR SHIPS AND COMMANDERS MEET IN THE WESTERN INDIAN OCEANMay 18, 2018 - 11:20
The Commanding Officer of ESPS Meteoro extended a warm welcome to EUNAVFOR’s Force Commander, Rear Admiral Simone Malvagna, whilst on counter-piracy patrols off the coast of Somalia. Lieutenant Commander Juan Miguel Evangelista, Commanding Officer of the Spanish Warship ESPS Meteoro, welcomed the Force Commander, Rear Admiral Simone Malvagna, on-board his ship, as the ITS Carlos […]
ESPS Meteoro helps Seychellois military improve maritime effectiveness.May 17, 2018 - 13:48
On the morning of the 15th May 2018, EU NAVFOR’s Spanish warship Meteoro visited the Regional Coordination Operations Centre (RCOC) to support the Seychelles Military counter-piracy effort. The Seychelles are an important partner in the fight against piracy as they have the ability to prosecute suspected pirates detained by EU NAVFOR across the high risk […]
Galmudug Coast Guard put through their paces by crew of EU NAVFOR’s Italian Flagship MargottiniMay 16, 2018 - 13:45
From the 11th to 13th May 2018, Italian sailors and marines from the EU NAVFOR flagship, ITS Margottini worked with members of the Galmudug Coast Guard. This essential training for the members of the local Somali law enforcement agencies enables the people of Somalia to take control of their own waters and build confidence in […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||437|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,725,0743|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.