EU NAVFOR DEPUTY COMMANDER IN DAR ES SALAAMDecember 12, 2017 - 16:58
Rear Admiral Nanclares has completed a visit to Dar es Salaam for Spanish Warship ESPS Patiño’s first port visit. During this time he met with the EU Ambassador to Tanzania, His Excellency Mr Roeland van de Geer. This visit was important to discuss priorities and goals of ESPS Patiño for the months ahead in Operation […]
EU NAVFOR SPANISH WARSHIP PATIÑO IN DAR ES SALAAMDecember 11, 2017 - 12:05
Having recently joined EU NAVFOR Spanish Warship, ESPS Patiño, conducted an inaugural port visit to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania. On 7th and 8th December the crew and embarked Spanish Marines took the opportunity to work with members of the Tanzanian Armed Forces to enhance the skills of this regional partner in the Western Indian […]
EU NAVFOR NINTH ANNIVERSARYDecember 8, 2017 - 13:09
Friday 8th December 2017 marks the ninth anniversary of EU Naval Force Somalia’s Operation Atalanta, the successful EU Naval Force counter- piracy operation in the Gulf of Aden and the Somali Basin. This anniversary comes soon after EU NAVFOR successfully apprehended, detained and transferred suspected pirates for judicial process in the Seychelles. During the past […]
Operation Atalanta’s Italian Force Commander Completes Successful Counter-Piracy MissionDecember 6, 2017 - 10:41
On Wednesday 6th December 2017, EU NAVFOR’s Operation Commander, Major General Charlie Stickland congratulated Force Commander Rear Admiral Fabio Gregori on the completion of another Italian led mission. Just over 4 months ago, Rear Admiral Gregori took Command of the Warships, Maritime Patrol Aircraft and security teams onboard on World Food Programme ships all the […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||431|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,613,6783|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.