Key Facts And Figures
Within this section you can find an up-to-date summary of the vessels and hostages currently held by pirates, including a map which illustrates the approximate locations of where each vessel was attacked.
This section also contains interactive tables and graphs, giving historical data about pirate and counter-piracy activity since the beginning of the EU Naval Force mandate in December 2008. Users can filter and extract this data and view it in Excel and PDF format.
Please visit the link below to explore this section of the site.Read more
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||424|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,562,3293|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.