EU NAVFOR and IMO cooperation and coordinationMay 15, 2018 - 09:41
EU NAVFOR Operational Commander Major General Charlie Stickland met with Mr. Kitack Lim, Secretary-General of the International Maritime Organization (IMO), Friday 11th May 2018 at the IMO Headquarters in London. General Stickland took the opportunity to update Secretary-General Lim on EU NAVFOR’s counter-piracy Operation Atalanta. The discussion was broad ranging in nature, covering the military assessment […]
EU NAVFOR celebrates Europe Day in MogadishuMay 14, 2018 - 16:07
The Force Commander of EU NAVFOR’s Op Atalanta, Rear Admiral Simone Malvagna, joined EU delegates and the Somali Prime Minister H.E. Hassan Ali Khaire in Mogadishu to celebrate Europe Day. The Europe Day event, organised by the European Delegation in Somalia (EU Del), took place on 9th May at the EU Compound in the International […]
EU NAVFOR helping to keep Somali Fishermen safeMay 10, 2018 - 08:43
Italian Sailors and Marines currently deployed on board EU NAVFOR’s flagship ITS Margottini have helped train members of the Somali Police Force Maritime Unit off the coast of Mogadishu. The two days of training took place on the 7th and 8th May with members of the Somali Police Force taking part. This interaction further developed skills that […]
EU NAVFOR crews helping AMISOM Marine unit protect Somali watersMay 9, 2018 - 13:48
On May 7th crew members from ITS Margottini continued the regional cooperation EU NAVFOR has established with the AMISOM Marine unit off the coast of Mogadishu. Following on from several interactions last year, Margottini’s Italian crew took up the opportunity to patrol local waters off the coast of Mogadishu with the AMISOM unit. Not only did […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||437|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,725,0743|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.