WFP vessel Petra II on its way to deliver more aid to Somali peopleOctober 10, 2018 - 13:25
ITS Federico Martinengo, the Italian Frigate, which is currently part of the EU’s counter-piracy Operation Atalanta, has rendezvoused with the WFP (World Food Programme) vessel Petra II off the coast of Somalia. EU Naval Forces (EU NAVFOR) are mandated to protect vulnerable vessels, like the Petra II, currently contracted to the WFP to deliver vital […]
EU NAVFOR meets members of Somali community in BirminghamOctober 9, 2018 - 11:41
From Mogadishu to Manchester, we keep in touch with Somali diaspora of all ages, genders, and occupations. On Wednesday 3rd October 2018, members of EU NAVFOR’s Operational Headquarters (based in Northwood, London) travelled to Birmingham to meet with members of the Somali community. Keeping a close connection with the community is key in EU NAVFOR’s […]
US Navy refuels EU NAVFOR at seaOctober 3, 2018 - 09:25
After several days conducting counter-piracy operations in the area off the Horn of Africa, ITS Federico Martinengo has conducted a rendezvous with the US Naval Ship Laramie to replenish her fuel tanks. Shortly after the tanker is alongside the frigate, the Replenishment at Sea (RAS) begins. Large hoses join the two ships and pumping starts; […]
21 nations one force: EU NAVFOR Ships meet in Indian OceanOctober 2, 2018 - 14:18
Working as a force made up of a large variety of nations can present numerous challenges; however when correctly exploited this enables the Force Commander, Rear Admiral Nanclares to have a plethora of expertise and resources to hand in order to maintain the counter-piracy operation around the Horn of Africa. On the 27th of September […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||439|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,792,7763|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.