EU NAVFOR WELCOMES BACK REPUBLIC OF KOREADecember 5, 2017 - 17:01
The Korean warship, ROKS Chungmugong, has recently deployed off the coast of Somalia as part of EU NAVFOR. This cooperation between the Republic of Korea and European Union warships is helping to strengthen maritime security and keep seafarers safe as they transit the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden. ROKS Chungmugong is the lead ship […]
EU NAVFOR AND CHINESE NAVY COUNTER PIRACY DISCUSSIONSDecember 4, 2017 - 14:56
On 30th November the Force Commander of EU NAVFOR, Rear Admiral Fabio Gregori, hosted onboard the Italian warship ITS Fasan, a delegation from the Peoples Liberation Army (PLA) Navy Escort Task Group 171 led by Senior Captain Huang Fengzhi. This is the third time this year where warships from the PLA NAVY and EU NAVFOR […]
EU NAVFOR REPORTS ON THE 41ST SHADENovember 30, 2017 - 16:56
The 41st Shared Awareness and De-Confliction (SHADE) conference took place in Bahrain, on 21st and 22nd November and chaired by Combined Maritime Forces (CMF), with renewed worldwide interest following very recent piracy attacks off the coast of Somalia and into the Western Indian Ocean. Over 120 stakeholders, including Independent Naval Counter-piracy representatives from China, India, […]
Following the Transfer of Six Suspected Pirates, EU NAVFOR Strengthens Seychellois RelationshipsNovember 29, 2017 - 17:16
During the transfer of six suspected pirates on 26th November, Rear Admiral Fabio Gregori took the opportunity to strengthen the relationship between with the President of the Republic of Seychelles His Excellency (H.E.) Danny Faure and Operation Atalanta. Rear Admiral Gregori, Force Commander who is currently embarked on EU NAVFOR’s Flagship ITS Fasan also met […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||431|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,613,6783|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.