MONTENEGRIN DETACHMENT HAND OVER TO CROATIANSSeptember 12, 2018 - 10:54
World Food Programme (WFP) shipping brings much needed and vital food aid to the region, keeping this safe keeps people alive. EU NAVFOR’s Autonomous Vessel Protection Detachment, based on board WFP ship Petra II, ensures the secure delivery of essential food and medical supplies to the people of Somalia by providing close protection. The highly […]
EU NAVFOR MEETS KEY LEADERS IN MOGADISHUSeptember 11, 2018 - 11:54
To run a coherent operation, we must maintain lines of communications from all areas. This includes Somali government, EU sister and UN missions, as well as diplomatic and military representatives in the city of Mogadishu. On 9 September 2018, Rear Admiral Alfonso Perez De Nanclares met officials in Mogadishu to discuss prominent issues in the […]
Continued counter-piracy cooperation with Indian NavySeptember 6, 2018 - 13:25
Operation Atalanta is fully committed to continuing international cooperation to extend the capability, reach and effectiveness of counter-piracy operations off the coast of Somalia. EU NAVFOR Spanish Flagship ESPS Castilla rendezvoused with Indian Naval Ship (INS) Teg (a Talwar-Class Frigate) on the 4th of September 2018, this meeting shows the depth of collaboration, which currently […]
EU NAVFOR ONGOING COOPERATION WITH JAPANSeptember 5, 2018 - 13:12
Partnerships and cooperation are important more now than ever in maritime security operations. Working alongside our Japanese partners increases capability and reach as we continue to deter, disrupt and repress piracy. The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force’s JS Akebono and EU NAVFOR’s Flagship ESPS Castilla conducted a Passage Exercise (PASSEX) in the Gulf of Aden on […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||439|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,792,7763|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.