EU NAVFOR participates in Major Counter-Piracy ExerciseJune 12, 2018 - 14:50
EU NAVFOR champions the cooperation and coordination of efforts with civilian and military partners to combat piracy; events such as the recent Counter-Piracy Exercise with the Multi-National Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) demonstrate this. EU NAVFOR ships and aircraft from Italy, Spain and Germany operated alongside US, Korean and Japanese warships of CMF from 6th to […]
EU NAVFOR deterring pirates and protecting seafarersJune 8, 2018 - 12:29
Today is #worldoceansday and the deterrence of piracy will reduce the threat to seafarers off the coast of Somalia, enabling uninterrupted transit of maritime trade through the economically important sea-lanes around the Horn of Africa and the Gulf of Aden. During the past week the EU Naval Force Italian Flagship, ITS Carlo Margottini has conducted […]
EU NAVFOR continuing counter-piracy missionJune 6, 2018 - 16:31
Whilst piracy off the coast of Somalia has been repressed it has not gone away. The threat continues and so the need for EU NAVFOR to be ready and capable continues. Two key capabilities that help us do this are the Spanish Air Force P3-Orion Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA) and the Spanish warship […]
Counter-piracy force cooperation and coordination in TanzaniaMay 31, 2018 - 15:26
Cooperation and coordination is a fundamental approach in the Western Indian Ocean as we work towards maritime security. The Force Commander of EU NAVFOR’s Operation Atalanta recently highlighted the EU’s support to the coordination of counter-piracy effort in the Western Indian Ocean region in a meeting with the Chief of Staff of the Tanzania People’s […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||438|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,766,4973|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.