PROTECTED WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME VESSEL ARRIVES IN SOMALIAFebruary 13, 2018 - 15:03
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) ship MV Esbjerg safely arrived in Mogadishu on 11th February 2018 under the protection of EU Naval Force’s Lithuanian Autonomous Vessel Protection Detachment (AVPD). The Lithuanian troops were welcomed to Mogadishu by the Somali based EU NAVFOR Liaison Officer, Commander Steve Elliot Royal Navy. Commander Elliot spoke to the […]
CHINESE WARSHIP ESCORTS WORLD FOOD PROGRAMMEFebruary 12, 2018 - 13:48
A Chinese Warship has been working in support of the World Food Programme (WFP), following an escort request by EU NAVFOR. On 10th February 2018, the guided missile frigate Yancheng of the 28th Chinese naval escort taskforce completed the successful escort of the MV SELIN-M, a merchant ship transporting humanitarian supplies for the United Nations […]
EU NAVFOR PROMOTING INDIAN OCEAN COOPERATIONFebruary 8, 2018 - 08:59
Rear Admiral Alfonso Nanclares, EU NAVFOR Deputy Commander, extended Operation Atalanta’s commitment support to the Regional Centre for Operational Coordination (RCOC) in the Seychelles. On Monday 5th February Admiral Nanclares met Mr Ronny Maratiken, the Deputy Director of the RCOC, and H.E. Lionel Majeste-Larrouy, the French and EU Ambassador to the Seychelles. This follows a […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||435|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,694,0743|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.