CUTLASS EXPRESS 18 SENIOR LEADERSHIP SYMPOSIUMFebruary 7, 2018 - 09:32
EU NAVFOR Deputy Commander (DCOM), Rear Admiral Alfonso Pérez de Nanclares, attended the Exercise Cutlass Express Senior Leadership Symposium in the Seychelles on 5th February 2018. The leadership event was hosted by the US Naval War College at the request of US Naval Forces Africa (NAVAF) to augment the Cutlass Express 18 maritime exercise. The […]
INTERNATIONAL COORDINATION IN SOMALIAFebruary 1, 2018 - 15:09
International teams are working together to build an environment that will allow growth of Somali capability and capacity. Commander Steve Elliott RN, the EU NAVFOR Liaison Officer to Somalia, is working to improve coordination between the AMISOM Marine Unit (AMU) and the Somalian Maritime Police Unit based at the Mogadishu new port, with the support […]
EU NAVFOR OFFICER RECEIVES EU MEDAL AND COMMENDATIONJanuary 31, 2018 - 16:17
A EU NAVFOR Staff Officer has received his EU Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) Service Medal and a commendation for his contribution to Operation Atalanta. Lieutenant Commander Helmer Kerkhoff of the Royal Netherlands Navy has spent six months working as the Deputy Assistant Chief Of Staff at the EU NAVFOR Headquarters in Northwood, London. […]
EU NAVFOR CONTINUED PRESENCEJanuary 30, 2018 - 10:23
The Spanish Warship ESPS Patiño of EU NAVFOR has been continuing its duties to reinforce relationships off the Somali coast since arriving in the region in December. Approaches and discussions with mariners are regularly conducted by EU NAVFOR warships as a part of routine maritime security and counter-piracy operations in the area. Their purpose is […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||435|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,694,0743|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.