EU NAVFOR Operation Atalanta: ‘Mandate continues, Business as usual’July 30, 2018 - 14:13
EU NAVFOR is pleased to confirm that following the decision from the Council of the European Union the mandate of Operation ATALANTA will continue until 31 December 2020. LINK TO EU COUNCIL ANNOUNCEMENT – (HERE) The mandate extension signals the EU’s commitment to continuing counter-piracy operations off the Somali coast. Furthermore, the ongoing […]
EU NAVFOR MAKES TIME FOR FISHERMENJuly 26, 2018 - 14:08
Security and safety to the fishermen of Somalia who are supporting their own community is as important to EU NAVFOR as maritime security is to major international shipping cargo companies. This is why EU NAVFOR warships make time to visit local fishermen going about their daily business. The ESPS Meteoro was conducting counter-piracy patrols along […]
EU NAVFOR PATROL AIRCRAFT REACHES 1000 MISSIONS: “¡Mil misiones!”July 23, 2018 - 16:06
Deterrence, repression and prevention of piracy begins with the identification of the threat. EU NAVFOR has been making use of Spanish Maritime Patrol Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA) for nearly 10 years with 1000 missions and more than 10,000 hours flown to keep a watch from the skies. The Spanish MPRA Detachment in Djibouti has recently reached […]
MARITIME PARTNERS DISCUSS THE FUTUREJuly 23, 2018 - 13:47
Close relationships with key maritime partners are vital to the success of Operation Atalanta. By maintaining close links and sharing expertise, this eases the burden of covering such a large operational area and makes us work more effectively and be more than just ships. EU NAVFOR Force Commander Rear Admiral Simone Malvagna has welcomed a […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||439|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,792,7763|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.