ONGOING WORK WITH CHINESE NAVYSeptember 21, 2018 - 09:35
Cooperation and coordination between the different partners operating in the Horn of Africa is of paramount importance in order to optimize their action and facilitate information sharing. This is especially important given the size of the operational area and the coordination of a large number of ships from many different countries. EU NAVFOR and Chinese […]
EU NAVFOR strengthening ties with MadagascarSeptember 19, 2018 - 12:24
EU NAVFOR continues to encourage key partners in the region to coordinate efforts and to share information effectively about maritime security. Our Flagship ESPS Castilla and her crew have visited Madagascar to attend a series of discussions with senior leaders on how the nation is developing and the maritime challenges they currently face. Between the […]
Willkommen zurück: German aircraft return to EU NAVFORSeptember 18, 2018 - 10:07
The German P-3C Orion Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA) has returned to Djibouti to re-join the fight against piracy being conducted by EU NAVFOR on Operation Atalanta. The aircraft, its crew and supporting staff deployed to the Horn of Africa area of operations on the 12th of September 2018 to work alongside the Spanish […]
Working together: Mogadishu’s MPU first hand training with EU NAVFORSeptember 17, 2018 - 10:23
Maritime training and exercises with Somali partners are an extremely important aspect of the European Union’s integrated approach to help develop the capabilities of local maritime forces and to deter piracy off the coast of Somalia. Following recent detailed discussions with Somalia’s Deputy Prime Minister (DPM), Mahdi Ahmed Gulaid ‘Khadar’, it was the turn of […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||439|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,792,7763|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.