EU NAVFOR and CMF Working Together to Combat Piracy Off the Coast of Somalia.November 28, 2017 - 14:48
On the 27th November, EU NAVFOR’s Spanish Warship ESPS Patiño met up with CTF151 Pakistan Warship PNS Tariq to conduct counter-piracy exercises at sea off the Somali Coast. Personnel from each vessel transferred between warships to understand each other’s capabilities and focus on the major aspects of counter-piracy deterrence and prevention. Cooperation at this tactical […]
Italian Crew from EU NAVFOR’s Flagship train with Tanzanian Defence Force NavyNovember 27, 2017 - 17:21
Over the course of three days from 12th to the 14th November, members of the Tanzanian Defence Force Navy trained with members of ITS Fasan to bolster Maritime Capability in the Indian Ocean. During port visits, EU NAVFOR personnel take the opportunity to pass on essential maritime skills to local forces to enhance their capabilities […]
Rear Admiral Fabio Gregori Visits Tanzania Building Regional Cooperation for EU NAVFORNovember 23, 2017 - 14:21
On the 14th November the Force Commander of EU NAVFOR’s Operation Atalanta, Rear Admiral Fabio Gregori visited General Mabeyo, Chief of Tanzania People’s Defence Force and Rear Admiral Makanzo, Commander of Naval Forces in Dar Es Salaam. During his visit the Force Commander took the opportunity to invite local dignitaries including the Italian Ambassador to […]
European Union Battle Group Planning Exercise Hosted by EU NAVFOR PersonnelNovember 21, 2017 - 16:44
A two-week military crisis planning exercise was held at the EU NAVFOR Operational Headquarters (OHQ) in Northwood from 3-16th November 2017. 44 staff from 11 EU Member States formed as a strategic military planning team for the exercise. The EU Military Staff then tested the group with a hypothetical complex humanitarian crisis with the aim […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||431|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,613,6783|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.