EU NAVFOR in collaboration with the SeychellesMay 8, 2018 - 15:31
At a recent port visit to the Seychelles, ITS Margottini’s crew and embarked Force Headquarters Staff have built on the strong relationship between EU NAVFOR and the Seychelles authorities. The Seychelles provide important support to the success of the EU NAVFOR counter-piracy operation off the coast of Somalia. The most recent collaboration occurred in November […]
ESPS METEORO SUPPORTS TANZANIAN NAVY TRAINING IN DAR ES SALAAMMay 3, 2018 - 16:12
During a recent port visit to Dar es Salaam, EU NAVFOR’s Spanish warship ESPS Meteoro invited the Tanzanian Navy on board to receive training in maritime skills. Personnel of the Tanzanian Navy visited ESPS Meteoro on the morning of 2 May 2018 as part of a Local Maritime Capacity Building (LMCB) activity. Meteoro’s crew provided […]
EU NAVFOR COMMANDERS MEET IN DJIBOUTIApril 26, 2018 - 14:03
On 21st April 2018 The Commanding Officer of EU NAVFOR’s Spanish P-3 Orion detachment met the Commander of EU NAVFOR Spanish warship ESPS Meteoro in Djibouti. Lieutenant Colonel (Lt Col) Jose Molino Martínez of the Orion MPRA (Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft) detachment met with Lieutenant Commander (Lt Cdr) Juan Miguel Evangelista Pintado of the […]
ESPS METEORO CHARITABLE DONATION TO CARITAS DJIBOUTI ORPHANAGEApril 25, 2018 - 11:32
On 21st April 2018 crew members of EU NAVFOR’s Spanish warship ESPS Meteoro donated food, school supplies and clothing to the Caritas Orphanage in Djibouti. ESPS Meteoro has recently arrived in the Horn of Africa to take over counter-piracy patrolling duties from ESPS Patiño as part of EU NAVFOR’s Operation Atalanta. She was conducting a […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||437|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,725,0743|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.