EU NAVFOR confirms the names of the attacked vessels as Galerna III and MV Ever DynamicNovember 20, 2017 - 16:24
EU NAVFOR confirms two vessels were attacked over the weekend of 17-18th November 2017. The first was MV Ever Dynamic and the second was Galerna III MV Ever Dynamic, is a container ship owned by Evergreen operating under a Panamanian flag and was attacked as she traveled from Colombo to Mombasa. Galerna III is a […]
EU NAVFOR’S ITALIAN SHIP VIRGINIO FASAN CHASES AND CAPTURES SUSPECTED PIRATESNovember 19, 2017 - 18:59
EU NAVFOR Somalia’s Flagship, the Italian vessel ITS Virginio Fasan, has apprehended six suspected pirates and seized their vessels. Six crew of a motor whaler, acting as mother ship, and a skiff have been detained following attacks on a 52,000 tonne container ship and a fishing vessel. These events reportedly took place over a 24 […]
ITS Fasan Sailors Conduct Training with Somali Police Force Maritime UnitNovember 16, 2017 - 11:46
Italian Sailors and Marines currently deployed on board EU NAVFOR’s flagship ITS Fasan have helped train members of the Somali Police Force Maritime Unit off the coast of Mogadishu. The three days of training took place from the 7th to the 9th November with 23 members of the Somali Police Force taking part. This interaction further developed […]
EU NAVFOR Force Commander Visits EUTM and EUCAP Somalia in Mogadishu.November 14, 2017 - 09:31
On 7th and 8th November 2017, the Force Commander for EU NAVFOR Operation Atalanta, Rear Admiral Fabio Gregori, met the current commander of the European Union Training Mission (EUTM) Brigadier General Pietro Addis (Italian Army) in Mogadishu, Somalia. This key leadership engagement was also attended by Maria Cristina Stepanescu, Head of Mission, EU CAP Somalia, […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||431|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,613,6783|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.