EU NAVFOR PERSONNEL IN DJIBOUTI 5KM CHARITY RUNJanuary 29, 2018 - 14:47
Personnel from EU NAVFOR units took part in a 5 km run in Djibouti on 26th Jan 2018 to raise money for local charity groups. Individuals from the EU NAVFOR Spanish warship ESPS Patiño, the Spanish Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft P-3 Orion detachment, the German detachment, and others from the Logistic HQ, took the […]
SPANISH AIR FORCE IN DJIBOUTI RECEIVE EU COUNTER-PIRACY MEDALSJanuary 26, 2018 - 09:00
Personnel of the Spanish Air Force Maritime Patrol Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA) detachment in Djibouti, Somalia, received their EU Common Security and Defence Policy Service Medals in recognition of their participation in Operation Atalanta. The personnel of the 30th Contingent and 57th Rotation at the French base in Djibouti received their medals from Lieutenant Colonel Javier […]
BUSINESS AS USUAL DURING MOGADISHU CHANGESJanuary 25, 2018 - 11:07
The EU NAVFOR local liaison officer based in Mogadishu has changed over. Commander Russ Nash RN has come to the end of his deployment in Mogadishu, one of his highlights being the support he enabled from EU NAVFOR ships to medical personnel following the October 2017 bombings. EU NAVFOR provided medical assistance to Mogadishu following […]
IOC delegates visit MSCHOA to improve regional Maritime Domain AwarenessJanuary 23, 2018 - 14:16
A landmark visit took place at the Maritime Security Centre – Horn of Africa (MSCHOA) on 22nd Jan 2017, when delegates from the Indian Ocean Commission (IOC), Madagascar and Seychelles visited the Operational Headquarters of the EU Naval Force in Northwood, London. Sponsored by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as part of British efforts to […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||435|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,694,0743|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.