EU NAVFOR Attends Service of Remembrance in Dar Es SalaamNovember 13, 2017 - 13:12
The British High Commission and the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany held a united Service of Remembrance at the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery and German War Memorial in Dar Es Salaam on 12th November 2017. The multi-faith ceremony, which is organised annually by either the British or German staff, was attended by European […]
ESPS Rayo makes first EU NAVFOR visit to MauritiusNovember 8, 2017 - 17:51
On 4 November, EU NAVFOR Spanish Warship ESPS Rayo hosted Ambassador Marjaana Sall, Head of Delegation of the European Union to the Republic of Mauritius. This was the first time that an EU NAVFOR warship had visited Port Louis, and the ESPS Rayo crew took the opportunity to demonstrate their ship’s counter-piracy capability to the authorities and Coast Guard […]
Major General Magowan hands over Operation Command of EU NAVFOR Somalia to Major General SticklandNovember 7, 2017 - 09:19
On the 7th November 2017, Major General Rob Magowan CBE handed over command of EU NAVFOR Operation Atalanta to Major General Charlie Stickland OBE after 17 months in charge. The handover took place in Brussels where General Mikhail Kostarakos, the permanent Chairman of the European Union Military Committee, thanked Major General Rob Magowan for his […]
EU Naval Force Operation Commander Visits EU Training Mission SomaliaNovember 3, 2017 - 10:37
Earlier in November, the Operation Commander (OpComd) of EU Naval forces, Major General Rob Magowan met Brigadier General Pietro Addis (Italian Army) the Head of the EU Training Mission in Somalia. During the visit the General took the opportunity to introduce the next EU NAVFOR OpComd, Maj Gen Charlie Stickland, who is due to take […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||431|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,613,6783|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.