HELICOPTER FLIGHT OPERATIONS FROM EU NAVFOR’s WARSHIP ESPS PATIÑOJanuary 19, 2018 - 14:01
The embarked helicopter of EU NAVFOR’s Spanish Warship ESPS Patiño has provided a successful contribution to the counter-piracy mission off the Somali coast since joining in December. The multi-purpose Seahawk SH60B helicopter can conduct up to six hours of flight operations daily. It provides the warship with the ability to conduct surveillance and reconnaissance operations […]
EU NAVFOR SHIP HELICOPTER AND FUELING OPERATIONSJanuary 18, 2018 - 16:48
EU NAVFOR’s Spanish Warship ESPS Patiño has further supported Combined Maritime Forces by rendezvousing with an Australian and Pakistani Warship and conducting Replenishment at Sea (RAS). Her Majesty’s Australian Ship Warramunga of CTF150 and Pakistan Navy Ship Aslat of CTF151 took on board a total of 390 cubic metres of fuel essential for the continuation […]
EU NAVFOR AND CMF PROMOTE NEW LEVELS OF COOPERATIONJanuary 17, 2018 - 17:32
The Operational Commander of EU NAVFOR and the Commander of Combined Maritime Forces have agreed to promote new levels of cooperation in the international fight against piracy. On his first visit to Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) Headquarters in Bahrain on 16th Jan 2017 Major General Charlie Stickland met with Vice Admiral John C. Aquilino who […]
EU NAVFOR SUPPORTING COMBINED MARITIME FORCESJanuary 10, 2018 - 13:37
Operation Atalanta’s Spanish warship, ESPS Patiño has conducted a busy period of further support to Bahrain based Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) ships during a transit into the Indian Ocean, a series of Replenishment at Sea (RAS) tasks were conducted whilst she continued on her own EU NAVFOR counter-piracy duties. The flexibility of Patiño was demonstrated […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2018 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||435|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,694,0743|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.