EU NAVFOR ON DUTY 24/7August 2, 2018 - 14:26
EU NAVFOR has been conducting counter-piracy operations off the coast of Somalia since 2008. Advanced cooperation between our units and other maritime security organisations and departments, keeps the international maritime trade flowing through these important sea-lanes. An important factor in maritime operations is the use of helicopter assets, these provide extensive capabilities to ships at […]
EU NAVFOR JOINS JAPANESE CELEBRATIONS: “ONGOING COMMITMENT IN DJIBOUTI”August 2, 2018 - 12:03
Air operations are crucial in the mission to deter piracy in the waters off the Horn of Africa. Long range and continuous surveillance can help detect suspicious activity early. Working together with partner countries in Djibouti can help the distribution of information and multiply the use of people and resources. EU NAVFOR personnel with the […]
EU NAVFOR AND OMAN STRENGTHEN TIESAugust 1, 2018 - 13:44
Strengthening ties with partner nations is key in the ongoing mission to support maritime security operations. On 22 July, personnel from ESPS Meteoro attended a reception in Oman to do exactly that. Following the training exercise between ESPS Meteoro and the Omani Patrol boat Al Nassir; the reception was an opportunity to strengthen the relations […]
EU NAVFOR and Royal Navy of Oman get tacticalJuly 31, 2018 - 17:08
Ongoing extensive cooperation and collaboration between EU NAVFOR and the Royal Navy of Oman on a tactical level ensures understanding of maritime security around the Horn of Africa. EU NAVFOR’s ESPS Meteoro has visited Muscat as part of a series of visits to the Sultanate of Oman. The Executive and Operations Officer of the Omani […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||439|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,792,7763|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.