ELEVEN YEARS OF GERMAN-SPANISH COOPERATION – STRONG PARTNERSHIP AGAINST PIRACYApril 2, 2020 - 14:39
Germany and Spain has been contributing to Operation ATALANTA since the beginning in 2008. Maritime patrol and reconnaissance aircrafts (MPRA) provide naval assets with a variety of capabilities making EU NAVFOR Somalia resilient and agile. Crew of the German “Jester” will work diligently alongside Spanish MPRA “Cisne”. Their main mission is to fly over the […]
OPERATION ATALANTA UNITS TRAIN TOGETHER TO OPERATE SUCCESSFULLYMarch 25, 2020 - 12:13
“Force Demonstration show EU commitment against piracy along Somali coastline.” Jose Luis Palacin DonaireMaster Chief During the morning of the 22nd of March, Italian frigate Bergamini organised a force demonstration event. They trained in the area of operation in front of Hurdiyo (Somalia) to demonstrate their counterpiracy skills. Two exercises were planned and completed. The first […]
OMAN’S ROYAL NAVY AND COAST GUARD ARE ONE OF THE KEY PARTNERS OF OPERATION ATALANTAMarch 9, 2020 - 15:24
EU NAVFOR Somalia is eager to cooperate with actors present in the waters off the Horn of Africa and Oman has been a key partner for ATALANTA for many years. This visit was important to explain the role of EU NAVFOR Somalia in the Indian Ocean and to increase ATALANTA interactions with Omani Navy and […]
VICE ADMIRAL JOACHIM GEORG RÜHLE VISITS EU NAVFOR SOMALIA OPERATION ATALANTA HEADQUARTERSMarch 3, 2020 - 12:29
“We have successfully suppressed piracy but piracy is still there. It is not eradicated.” Vice Admiral Rühle Deputy Chief of German Defense Rota Naval Base, 02 March 2020 — This morning, the Deputy Chief of German Defense, Vice Admiral Joachim Georg Rühle, visited the multinational Operation Headquarters (OHQ) of the European Union’s (EU) counter-piracy operation, […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,890,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.