EU NAVFOR SOMALIA SUPPORTS DJIBOUTIAN COAST GUARDFebruary 24, 2020 - 15:49
Building and developing regional maritime capability is one of the key aims of EU NAVFOR by sharing our expertise we promote lasting regional maritime solutions, which will help to deter and prevent acts of piracy throughout the region. Maritime Capacity Building (MCB) activities are proved to enhance the mutual trust and understanding between the European […]
OPERATION ATALANTA FORCE COMMANDER VISITS AUTONOMOUS VESSEL PROTECTION DETACHMENT (AVPD)February 14, 2020 - 10:06
“I had to visit you. You are our people. You are ATALANTA”, Commodore Jose Antonio Vizinha Mirones Operation ATALANTA Force Commander Bosaso, 11 February 2020— In Bosaso this week, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA Force Commander Commodore Jose Antonio Vizinha Mirones met AVPD Team on board Merchant Vessel JUIST to express his appreciation for their […]
EU NAVFOR Somalia and Combined Task Force-151 conduct focused counter-piracy operation.February 11, 2020 - 16:04
During the period 7th – 9th Feb EU NAVFOR Somalia and Combined Task Force-151 (CTF-151) conducted focused counter-piracy operation IKARUS around the Somali Coast, the Horn of Africa and the Gulf of Aden. The primary mission was to deter and disrupt piracy when required, apart from improving coordination and information sharing between CTF 151, EU […]
EU NAVFOR’S VICTORIA RESPONDS TO AN URGENT MEDICAL REQUEST IN THE GULF OF ADENFebruary 10, 2020 - 15:27
8th February 2020, Merchant Vessel (MV) NORTHERN JADE sailing under the flag of Germany, called EU NAVFOR Somalia OHQ requesting medical assistance for a crew member who was injured. Watchkeeping team reacted immediately and passed the request to Force Commander Commodore Vizinha Mirones, who tasked ESPS “VICTORIA”, as the closest unit under his command. […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,890,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.