EU NAVFOR destruction of pirate vessel: timeline of eventsOctober 31, 2018 - 09:14
16 Oct 18
- During the afternoon; a single skiff approached MV KSL SYDNEY in a fast and aggressive manner from the stern and opened fire at the ship’s bridge.
- The skiff approached to within five metres of the vessel’s port rear (beam). The suspected pirates had ropes and hooks ready for boarding.
- MV KSL Sydney’s armed security team were activated and engaged the suspected pirates in an exchange of small arms fire; this lasted for approximately two minutes.
- After the exchange of fire, the skiff disengaged and fled from the scene.
- EU NAVFOR resources were deployed to search for the pirate vessel. Continuous surveillance by naval and air assets was maintained in the area.
17 Oct 18
- The following morning, a suspicious whaler and a single skiff were sighted by EU NAVFOR surveillance aircraft around 167Nm off the coastline of Somalia, approximately 130Nm from the scene of the attack on MV KSL Sydney.
- In a bid to deter surveillance, the suspected pirates used mirrors to flash EU NAVFOR aircraft. Subsequently, they separated and made off at speed in different directions to avoid being tracked.
17-27 Oct 18
- During this period, EU NAVFOR maintained ongoing and continuous surveillance in the area using air and naval assets.
27 Oct 18
- The search identified the suspect whaler in an area known to have been associated with pirate activity.
- The vessel was seized and, after a thorough search, the whaler was confirmed as being the one EU NAVFOR had tracked on 17 Oct 18.
- A decision was made by EU NAVFOR to destroy the vessel to prevent it being used for pirate acts.
EU NAVFOR AND KENYAN NAVY CLOSE COOPERATION
EU NAVFOR CHECKS IN WITH SOMALI FISHERMEN
Deputy Commander participates in Article 8 dialogue
US NAVY SUPPORTS EU NAVFOR WITH REPLENISHMENT AT SEA
EU NAVFOR WARSHIPS AND AIRCRAFT DOING MORE TOGETHER
EU NAVFOR: waxaa loobahan yahay in laxoojiya foojignaanta bada sifiican, Sababtoo ah doon xamuul ah oo hindi ah laga,afduubay xeebt Somaliya