OP ATALANTA CELEBRATES TENTH ANNIVERSARY WITH THANKS FROM INTERNATIONAL PARTNERSJanuary 10, 2019 - 13:53
EU NAVFOR relies on parterships to conduct business and they have been key to its successes over the last ten years. In December 2018, Op ATALANTA celebrated its tenth anniversary, an occasion commemorated in letters of thanks from international organisations who have been part of the counter-piracy partnerships with EU NAVFOR over the last ten years.
Op ATALANTA commenced on 8 December 2008. Since it began, EU NAVFOR has protected 1.8 million tonnes of World Food Program aid; captured and transferred suspected pirates to the appropriate authorities; contributed to the deterrence, prevention and repression of acts of piracy and armed robbery at sea off the coast of Somalia.
The organisations with which EU NAVFOR has been working and who chose to mark the occasion of the tenth anniversary:
- The Executive Director, World Food Program;
- Vice President of the Seychelles;
- Head of the Regional Maritime Information Fusion Centre;
- Director of Commercial Crime Services, part of the International Chamber of Commerce;
- Secretary General of the International Maritime Organisation;
- Director of the Division for Policy Analysis and Public Affairs, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime;
- Executive Director Police Services, INTERPOL.
Their letters can be found here.
Operation ATALANTA bids farewell to Deputy Commander Rear Admiral Corrado Campana
THE IMPORTANCE OF AIR RESOURCES IN OPERATION ATALANTA
ESPS Castilla rejoins Operation ATALANTA full-speed
Force Commander EU NAVFOR Somalia meets with his CMF counterpart to coordinate and de-conflict after approval on new Operation Atalanta mandate
Operation ATALANTA´s new mandate enters into force on 1st of January 2021. New tasks will reinforce the EU NAVFOR’s counter-piracy core responsibilities.
EU NAVFOR ATALANTA PROVIDES SUPPORT TO UNODC YEMEN COAST GUARD REGENERATION STRATEGY