EU NAVFOR completes the 29th Force Rotation in DjiboutiDecember 5, 2018 - 14:24
On Sunday 2nd December 2018 in Djibouti, EU NAVFOR’s Force Commander, Rear Admiral Alfonso Pérez de Nanclares handed back command of Operation Atalanta Forces to the Operational Headquarters. The Change of Command Ceremony took place during a reception held on board ESPS Castilla on the occasion of 10 years of continued presence of EU NAVFOR […]
EU NAVFOR and the Royal Navy of Oman commitment at seaDecember 5, 2018 - 08:50
Oman’s commitment to maritime security has been clearly demonstrated alongside that of EU NAVFOR during a recent engagement at sea. Commander Andrea Quondamatteo Italian Navy, Commanding Officer ITS Federico Martinengo said recently: “Exercises and training means readiness, keeping standards in the field of maritime security at a very high level.” On 1st December EU NAVFOR […]
EU NAVFOR re-affirms regional commitments following 43rd SHADEDecember 4, 2018 - 15:48
Regional commitments continue to be the cornerstone of success in maintaining maritime security. Hot on the heels of the 43rd SHADE where “debate ensued on how to improve information sharing with the Omani representative highlighting the opportunities for the future” EU NAVFOR has re-visited the port of Salalah in Oman. At the end of November, […]
EU NAVFOR and Chinese PLA(N): ‘An ongoing partnership’December 3, 2018 - 15:15
The deterrence, repression and prevention of piracy remain vital to the maritime shipping industry in the conduct of international trade between East and West; and keeping the sea lanes open with key partners has encouraged over €500 billion* trade in 2017 between China and EU Member States alone. Medical staff from the EU NAVFOR and […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||447|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,797,0183|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.