SPANISH MARINES CELEBRATE 482nd ANNIVERSARY ON BOARD ESPS RELAMPAGOFebruary 27, 2019 - 15:42
Today marks the 482nd anniversary of the founding of the Spanish Marine Corps, the Infantería de Marina. Marines on board EU NAVFOR’s warship ESPS Relampago held a short ceremony on the flight deck to mark the occasion. The Spanish Marine Corps founded by Carlos I in 1537, is the oldest existing Marine Corps in the […]
ESPS RELAMPAGO’S CREW TRAINS WITH SEYCHELLES PEOPLE’S DEFENCE FORCEFebruary 20, 2019 - 10:28
During her port visit to the Seychelles, ESPS Relampago’s crew took the opportunity to carry out a range of maritime training exercises with the Seychelles Coastguard and Air Force at Port Victoria anchorage. The training began with theory lessons on RADAR and Air Navigational Aids, followed by practical training on board. After training, a tour […]
EU NAVFOR DONATES FIRST AID KITS TO AAMIN AMBULANCE SERVICE IN SOMALIAFebruary 19, 2019 - 13:33
EU NAVFOR has supplied 50 First Aid kits to the AAMIN Ambulance Service, which was established to provide free ambulance services after it was observed that no functioning public ambulance services existed. Donating the kits, the EU NAVFOR Liaison Officer in Somalia, Commander Steve Gilmore Royal Navy, said: “I have been very impressed with the […]
EU NAVFOR MEETS GLOBAL SOMALI DIASPORA IN LONDONFebruary 14, 2019 - 15:17
Meeting with members of the Somali community is important for EU NAVFOR. It is an opportunity for the Somali community to learn the relevance of counter-piracy operations to their country and themselves, but also an opportunity for them to ask questions directly to EU NAVFOR. Representatives of the Global Somali Diaspora met with the team […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||455|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,817,2773|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.