Welcoming Returning Support from French Multi-role Frigate ‘La FS Surcouf’June 3, 2019 - 12:10
The FS Surcouf has supported Operation Atalanta in the past, including deployments in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2017 and 2018. Rota, 3 June 2019 — Operation Atalanta is glad to welcome the French Ship (FS) Surcouf back this week, as it sails in direct support of Operation Atalanta. FS Surcouf will operate alongside the Spanish Ship […]
Farewell to Montenegrin Lt. Danijel RadonjicMay 31, 2019 - 08:11
“It is a sad day in Rota, because we are losing our Montenegrin representation in the OHQ.” Chief of Staff, Captain Luis Diaz Puente On 30 May 2019, Operation Atalanta bid farewell to Montenegrin Lieutenant Danijel Radonjic. Lt. Radonjic worked with EU NAVFOR Operation Atalanta for one year, beginning his post in Northwood, UK and […]
Operation Atalanta’s Farewell to ITS Carlo MargottiniMay 30, 2019 - 09:39
Grazie all’equipaggio di Carlo Margottini e alla Marina Militare Italiana per il loro contributo! 30 May 2019 — Today marks the end of ITS Carlo Margottini’s contribution to Operation Atalanta, the European Union’s first naval operation, launched in 2008 to prevent and deter piracy at sea off the Horn of Africa and in the Indian […]
One Month Since 2019’s First Piracy Attack Off The Somali CoastMay 28, 2019 - 08:18
“The need for a strong maritime security presence in the High-Risk Area remains critical for the deterrence and prevention of future incidents and attacks.” Rear Admiral Antonio Martorell Lacave On 21 April, suspected pirates seized a fishing dhow off the coast of Somalia, holding 23 people hostage. In a matter of hours, the European Union’s […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||482|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,849,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.