Ten years of Operation Atalanta: EU NAVFOR Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance AircraftDecember 20, 2018 - 10:43
10 years of Operation Atalanta’s counter-piracy efforts have seen a continual presence of Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA) deployed to Djibouti, Mombasa (Kenya) and Victoria (Seychelles). The MPRAs have been provided by France, Germany, Luxembourg and Spain. They help to create a broader maritime intelligence picture and when used effectively they can capture crucial […]
Ten years of Operation Atalanta: EU NAVFOR HelicoptersDecember 18, 2018 - 14:52
EU NAVFOR warships have patrolled the waters off the coast of Somalia for over ten years now. The worst of the Somali piracy crisis in 2011 has been successfully repressed, but the need for ongoing patrols in the western Indian Ocean remains. EU NAVFOR relies on warships and helicopters provided by EU States in order […]
SEYCHELLES PROSECUTION PATHWAY REVISITEDDecember 14, 2018 - 10:50
For over 10 years, piracy has been successfully combated by an international ‘coalition of the willing’, achieving great success in the Indian Ocean. Ships are now able to transit the region much more safely, but the threat of piracy still exists. With this threat suppressed but not eradicated, counter-piracy work continues. In March 2018, a […]
EU NAVFOR’S WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME SHIP PROTECTIONDecember 12, 2018 - 16:51
“After nearly three decades of political and economic instability, Somalia continues to be on a positive trajectory with significant progress made since the re-establishment of the Federal Government in 2012. However, the country continues to struggle with recurrent food and nutrition crises, widespread insecurity, political instability, underdeveloped infrastructure, and natural hazards such as drought and […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||452|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,810,1803|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.