ESPS NAVARRA CONDUCTED AN EXERCISE WITH JPS SAMIDAREMarch 28, 2019 - 14:41
Earlier this week the EU NAVFOR flagship ESPS Navarra has conducted a passing exercise (PASSEX) in the Gulf of Aden with the Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Force (JMSDF) destroyer Samidare. Rear Admiral Ricardo Hernandez, the EU NAVFOR Force Commander, met with Captain (JPN Navy) Takahiro Nishiyama on board JMSDFS Samidare to discuss ongoing operations and to […]
EU NAVFOR FORCE COMMANDER MEETS KEY LEADERS IN BOSSASSOMarch 27, 2019 - 10:43
On 25th March 2019, a delegation from EU NAVFOR together with EUCAP Somalia met in Bossasso with the Puntland Minister of Ports and Maritime Crime Prevention, Mohamed Abdi Osman, to exchange views on the security situation at sea and to identify opportunities for further collaboration and cooperation. The Minister was accompanied during the meeting by […]
EU NAVFOR OPERATIONAL HEADQUARTERS COMMEMORATE MOVE TO SPAIN AND FRANCEMarch 25, 2019 - 16:54
The Operational Headquarters (OHQ) for EU NAVFOR is in the final stages of its move from Northwood, UK to Rota, Spain and to Brest, France. The handover will take place on the 29th March 2019. To commemorate the imminent move of the OHQ in Northwood and the Transfer of Authority to OHQ Rota the Operation […]
EU NAVFOR DEVELOPS PROSECUTION PATHWAY WITH THE SEYCHELLSMarch 22, 2019 - 11:37
A joint EU NAVFOR and United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) team conducted training with representatives from Seychellois law enforcement agencies and the judicial system, to assist them with continued improvement and development of all areas within the legal process, involving from capture to conviction of suspect pirates. Over three days, from 18th […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||456|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,832,2773|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.