EU NAVFOR promotes UN FAO programme working in support of Somali fishermenOctober 18, 2018 - 10:19
EU NAVFOR has just completed an important focused operation along the north-eastern coast of Somalia, interacting with local authorities in Puntland’s former piracy hotspots of Hurdiyo and Eyl. Between 12-16 October 2018, ships and aircraft from Spain, Italy and Germany joined staff from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (UNFAO) embarked on board the […]
EU NAVFOR conducts first exercise with Chinese PLA(N) in DjiboutiOctober 16, 2018 - 09:33
EU NAVFOR relations with the Chinese PLA(N) (Peoples Liberation Army) Navy are going from strength to strength following the first combined exercise at their new military base in Djibouti. EU NAVFOR personnel have already crossed decked with Chinese warships earlier this year, but this medical evacuation was the first exercise of its kind. The crew […]
Spanish MPRA detachment celebrates impressive 10 year milestoneOctober 14, 2018 - 12:59
2018 marks the tenth year of EU NAVFOR’s Spanish maritime patrol aircraft detachments operations. A lot has changed over the last ten years, including the types of aircraft used: with a P-3 Orion from 11th Wing (Morón Air Base) taking over from the D4s (CN-235s). Their main mission is to fly over the operational areas, detect suspicious skiffs […]
WFP vessel Petra II on its way to deliver more aid to Somali peopleOctober 10, 2018 - 13:25
ITS Federico Martinengo, the Italian Frigate, which is currently part of the EU’s counter-piracy Operation Atalanta, has rendezvoused with the WFP (World Food Programme) vessel Petra II off the coast of Somalia. EU Naval Forces (EU NAVFOR) are mandated to protect vulnerable vessels, like the Petra II, currently contracted to the WFP to deliver vital […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||447|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,796,0693|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.