Deputy Commander participates in Article 8 dialogueNovember 16, 2018 - 10:36
EU NAVFOR’s Deputy Commander, Rear Admiral Giuseppe Rapese attended the Article 8 Political dialogue between the European Union and the Seychelles on the 8th of November 2018. In delivering a presentation on EU NAVFOR’s recent activities and evolving cooperation with the Seychelles, the Admiral highlighted the importance of our national and multinational military and law […]
EU NAVFOR’s Italian Warship escorts World Food Programme vesselNovember 14, 2018 - 13:24
Protecting vessels carrying food to Somali communities is part of Operational Atlanta’s core tasks and earlier this week the Italian frigate, ITS Federico Martinengo did just that. MV Petra I was transiting Somali territorial waters when she met with EU NAVFOR’s forces. Support to World Food Programme vessels will remain our core business and ensuring […]
EU NAVFOR protection team keeps vital food aid safeNovember 7, 2018 - 16:39
Protecting World Food Programme (WFP) and vulnerable vessels in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden is one of Operation Atalanta’s key tasks. The WFP ship Petra II has an embarked EU NAVFOR security team, known as the Autonomous Vessel Protection Detachment (AVPD), to ensure her valuable cargo of food-aid is protected en-route to Somalia. […]
EU NAVFOR and CMF discuss the future of counter-piracy operationsOctober 31, 2018 - 17:00
EU NAVFOR Italian warship Federico Martinengo has visited Mina Salman Port in Bahrain. Whilst there, the command team met with the Deputy Commander of the Combined Maritime Forces, Commodore Steve Dainton CBE, to discuss the ongoing coordination of counter-piracy operations and joint activities at sea. These inter-organisational discussions help shape the operational framework for future […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||447|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,797,0183|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.