Reinforcement for European Union Naval ForceMay 3, 2009 - 14:54
The European Union Naval Force (EU NAVFOR) Atalanta, countering piracy around the Horn of Africa, on 2nd of May has been reinforced by an incoming Greek ship, the frigate HS NIKIFOROS FOKAS.
After HS PSARA, the first flag ship of the operation, had left early April, Greece now is contributing with another unit. The HS NIKIFOROS FOKAS (F 466), named after a Greek hero from the 10th century, is one of 10 originally Dutch KORTENAER-class frigates in service in the Greek Navy. The frigate has a displacement of 3500 tons, is equipped with several missile systems for anti-surface and anti-air warfare, torpedoes for anti-submarine warfare, several medium and light guns and also one organic helicopter, and has a crew of approximately 200. She will stay with the Task Force for several months.
The current composition of EU NAVFOR Atalanta is showing 11 ships plus 4 Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft (MPRA). Force Commander is Captain Juan Garat Caramé.
– ESPS NUMANCIA ( Spanish frigate, flagship)
– HS NIKIFOROS FOKAS (Greek frigate)
– FGS RHEINLAND-PFALZ (German frigate)
– FGS EMDEN (German frigate)
– FGS MECKLENBURG-VORPOMMERN (German frigate)
– ITS MAESTRALE (Italian frigate)
– FS COMMANDANT DUCUING (French frigate)
– FS NIVOSE (French frigate)
– FS ALBATROS (French Patrol boat)
– ESPS MARQUES DE LA ENSENADA (Spanish tanker)
– FGS BERLIN (German supply ship)
– P3 ORION (Spanish MPRA)
– P3 ORION (German MPRA)
– BREGUET ATLANTIC (French MPRA)
– FALCON 50 (French small MPRA)
Next reinforcement will be 2 Swedish corvettes plus 1 supply unit in the middle of May.
Operation ATALANTA bids farewell to Deputy Commander Rear Admiral Corrado Campana
THE IMPORTANCE OF AIR RESOURCES IN OPERATION ATALANTA
ESPS Castilla rejoins Operation ATALANTA full-speed
Force Commander EU NAVFOR Somalia meets with his CMF counterpart to coordinate and de-conflict after approval on new Operation Atalanta mandate
Operation ATALANTA´s new mandate enters into force on 1st of January 2021. New tasks will reinforce the EU NAVFOR’s counter-piracy core responsibilities.
EU NAVFOR ATALANTA PROVIDES SUPPORT TO UNODC YEMEN COAST GUARD REGENERATION STRATEGY