Dutch EU NAVFOR Flagship HNLMS Tromp Greets Somali Fishermen During Counter-Piracy Patrols Close to the Somali CoastOctober 20, 2016 - 15:03
Whilst conducting EU NAVFOR counter-piracy patrols near to the Somali coastline, Dutch frigate and Operation Atalanta flagship, HNLMS Tromp, met a number of Somali fishermen and took the opportunity to explain how EU Naval Force warships are helping to keep the seas safer for all seafarers by deterring any potential armed pirate attacks. Meetings such […]
ESPS Santa Maria Sailors Celebrate Spanish National Day and Ship’s BirthdayOctober 18, 2016 - 09:43
Wednesday 12th October was a memorable day for the sailors of Spanish warship, ESPS Santa Maria. Not only was it the Kingdom of Spain’s national day, it was also the thirtieth anniversary since the warship was commissioned into the Spanish Navy. During the last thirty years, ESPS Santa Maria has deployed away from her home port […]
Operation Atalanta’s Serbian WFP Vessel Protection Team Welcomes Visit by Republic of Serbia First Secretary to KenyaOctober 17, 2016 - 16:15
During MSM Douro’s recent port visit to Mombasa, the Serbian maritime protection team that is currently embarked as part of Operation Atalanta’s protection of World Food Programme vessels carrying humanitarian aid for displaced people in Somalia, welcomed the First Secretary from the Serbian Embassy, Ms Irina Žarin, on board. During her visit, the First Secretary […]
Operation Atalanta Warship La Fayette and Kenyan Navy Strengthen Ties During Port Visit to MombasaOctober 13, 2016 - 08:58
Operation Atalanta’s French warship, La Fayette, was recently welcomed into the port of Mombasa. This was the first time an EU Naval Force ship has had the opportunity to visit the Kenyan port in over a year. During the visit, La Fayette’s Commanding Officer, Commander Stanislas Delatte, took the opportunity to meet with staff from […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2016 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters and disrupts piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
So far in 2016 there have been no piracy incidents.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||391|
|amisom vessels protected||132|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,289,5243|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.