Operation Atalanta Conducts Coordination Meeting with World Food ProgramNovember 25, 2020 - 14:55
World Food Programme is the UN leading humanitarian organization assisting 91.4 million people in 83 countries, each year saving and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience; an effort, which has been recognised by the 2020 Noble Peace Prize award. As their interventions, at a […]
OPERATION ATALANTA SAYS ‘FAREWELL’ TO THE 34TH ROTATION OF THE FHQ AND ESPS SANTA MARIANovember 24, 2020 - 15:35
ESPS Santa Maria concluded its rotation with Operation Atalanta on 16th of October after a very successful and busy rotation she initiated in June. The Spanish warship has been supporting the operation since 2011 and has provided an outstanding service in deterring, preventing and repressing piracy in the Horn of Africa Region. The 34th rotation […]
OPERATION ATALANTA ATTENDED THE MARITIME INFORMATION EXCHANGE VESSEL OPERATORS’ MEETING (MIEVOM). DUBAI (UAE) 12 NOV 2020.November 13, 2020 - 12:51
On 12th of November, Lt CDR Diego Canovas-Canovas representing EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA attended the Maritime Information Exchange Vessel Operators’ Meeting in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. UKMTO Dubai organized the VTC meeting attended by company security officers, maritime security advisors of the shipping industry, representatives of Naval Forces in Western Indian Ocean Region, as […]
Operation Atalanta conducted Focused Counter-Piracy operation AARDVARK around the Somali Coast and across the Gulf Of Aden.November 13, 2020 - 09:36
During the period the 3rd Nov – 7th Nov, Operation Atalanta conducted Focused Counter-Piracy operation AARDVARK around the Somali Coast and across the Gulf Of Aden. The operation made use of all resources as they monitored merchant shipping adherence to Best Management Practices (#BMP5 ), skiff movements in the area of interest and to identify […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||1,511|
|amisom vessels protected||704|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||2,178,0253|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.