EU NAVFOR MONITORS WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME VESSEL JUIST ON HER WAY TO DELIVER AID TO SOMALIAJune 19, 2020 - 12:09
While Somalia is facing one of the world’s biggest public health threats from COVID-19, the country is also struggling with floods in the north that have killed 24 people and are affecting over 700 000 people in 24 districts. These floods have also displaced almost 283 000 people in the area. All 6 states have […]
OPERATION ATALANTA ESPS NUMANCIA IS INSPECTING UN FAOs FISH AGGREGATING DEVICES TO BOOST LOCAL FISHERIES AND FIGHT UNDERLYING CAUSES OF PIRACYJune 17, 2020 - 10:18
One of the underlining causes of piracy in Somalia is its very fragile economy. Somalia has the longest coastline in Africa and one of the world most untapped marine resources. The 3300 kms of fertile fishing grounds could be the key to transform the economy of this otherwise arid country. But the infrastructure of the […]
EUROPEAN UNION NAVAL FORCE (EU NAVFOR) SOMALIA ASSUMING COMMAND AT SEA: THE FHQ 34TH ROTATION STORYMay 17, 2020 - 10:01
‘Every challenge brings a new opportunity to succeed’ Rear Admiral Ignacio Villanueva 34th Rotation Force Commander The most distinguishing characteristic of the EU NAVFOR SOMALIA FHQ 34th rotation Hand-Over Take-Over (HOTO) ceremony was… that there was no ceremony. This article recounts the story, including the challenges EU NAVFOR and some participant nations had to overcome […]
FHQ STAFF at full capabilityMay 13, 2020 - 11:53
Despite World Pandemic and after passed strict security protocols based on quarantine periods and testing, the EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA 34th FHQ started its embarked rotation on 3rd may 2020. Force Commander, Spanish Navy Rear Admiral Ignacio Villanueva Serrano supported by his international Staff commands a force currently composed of Frigate Numancia (Flag Ship, […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||1,450|
|amisom vessels protected||704|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||2,146,8553|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.