International Shipping Week 2019September 18, 2019 - 14:29
“We are in a changing world… Therefore, our needs for trade will change and adapt to a new global landscape.” Nusrat Ghani U.K. Minister for Maritime London, 10 September 2019—This week, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA’s Deputy Operation Commander, Rear Admiral Giovanni Battista Piegaja, attended events in London, U.K. during London International Shipping Week (LISW). […]
A Visit On Board ROKS Kang Gam ChanSeptember 17, 2019 - 08:10
“Meeting with R. Adm. Simi enabled us to discuss future collaboration and cooperation and enhance information sharing in our fight against piracy.” Rear Admiral Byeong-Ju Yu Commander of CTF 151 11 September 2019—This past week in the Gulf of Aden, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA’s ITS Antonio Marceglia met with the Korean ship ROKS Kang […]
Protecting our Partners: EU NAVFOR Somalia escorts United Nations World Food Programme vessels to safetySeptember 6, 2019 - 09:15
6 September 2019—Last week, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA provided support to United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) vessels that were carrying NGO and United Nations Staff through the Gulf of Aden. The WFP requested support from EU NAVFOR Somalia following further deterioration of the security situation in Yemen, specifically near the city of Aden. […]
Operation ATALANTA Force Commander Meets with Omani AuthoritiesAugust 29, 2019 - 11:23
“Both EU NAVFOR and the Omani authorities present in Salalah reiterated their mutual will to cooperate in the shared objective of protecting maritime trade passing through the Gulf of Aden.” Rota, 29 August 2019–During a port visit in Salalah last week, Force Commander of EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA, Rear Admiral Armando Paolo Simi, Commanding […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,890,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.