Operation ATALANTA frigate ESPS Victoria conducts exercises with French Forces in DjiboutiNovember 11, 2019 - 09:40
“Conducting this kind of training is very important for us because it shows the cooperation and interoperability between Operation ATALANTA units and the French Forces in Djibouti.” Commander Pedro Márquez de la Calleja ESPS Victoria Commanding Officer Djibouti, 11 November 2019—Between the 5th and the 8th of November, in vicinity of Djibouti, Operation ATALANTA’s Spanish […]
Operation ATALANTA’s ESPS Canarias Visits Students at École de la Nativité in DjiboutiNovember 6, 2019 - 10:53
Djibouti, 15 November 2019—Just before the end of its deployment with Operation ATALANTA on Tuesday, the Commander of the Spanish ship (ESPS) Canarias and a representation of the ship’s staff visited l’École de la Nativité in Djibouti. Approximately 1,100 students between the ages of 4 and 11 years old study at l’École de la Nativité. […]
Welcoming ESPS Victoria to EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTANovember 5, 2019 - 14:52
05 November, 2019–Today, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA welcomed the Spanish ship (ESPS) Victoria to the counter-piracy operation. The ESPS Victoria will be replacing the ESPS CANARIAS. The ESPS Canarias sailed with Operation ATALANTA for four months, and has sailed with Operation ATALANTA numerous times in the past. Spain has contributed their naval assets, air […]
Operation ATALANTA’s Spanish P.3M Completes 12,000 Counter-Piracy Flight HoursNovember 5, 2019 - 09:19
Djibouti, 05 November 2019—The Spanish p.3M Orion has reached a new milestone for both Operation ATALANTA and the Spanish Armed Forces: 12.000 flight hours in the fight against piracy. Spanish participation in EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA dates back to 2008. Under current command of Major Diego Gil, this achievement has been a true team […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,890,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.