Operation Atalanta Commander Attends Chiefs of Defence Meeting in Brussels 21/05/2019May 23, 2019 - 14:57
On his way to Djibouti to meet with High Representative/Vice-President Federica Mogherini this week, EU NAVFOR OpCmdr. Rear Admiral Antonio Martorell Lacave stopped in Brussels for the Chiefs of Defence (CHOD) meeting. Also while in Brussels, R. Adm. Martorell Lacave participated in bilateral meetings with European Union delegations of Ireland, Montenegro and South Korea to […]
High Representative/Vice-President Federica Mogherini Visits ITS Carlo MargottiniMay 23, 2019 - 10:33
“We cannot stop reminding ourselves that lowering our guard in the name of exceptional results in deterring piracy would be a mistake. The recent attacks from last month serve as proof of this.” HR/VP Federica Mogherini This week, High Representative/Vice-President Federica Mogherini paid a visit to the Horn of Africa. After stopping in Mogadishu and […]
Djibouti: Rear Admiral Antonio Martorell Lacave’s Speech On Board The ITS Carlo Margottini 22/05/2019May 23, 2019 - 09:13
Djibouti, 22 May 2019 Excellencies, Distinguished Guests, I have the honour to welcome you all here in Djibouti on the flight deck of the Italian Ship MARGOTTINI on the occasion of the visit of the High Representative for Foreign Affairs of the European Union, Madame Mogherini. Madame, it’s a pleasure to have you on board! […]
ESPS Navarra Provides Maritime Security Training In SeychellesMay 22, 2019 - 08:00
During ESPS Navarra’s visit in Port Victoria, Seychelles last week, personnel on board the Navarra trained personnel of the Seychelles Coast Guard (SCG) and Seychelles Air Force (SAF) onboard the EU NAVFOR Flagship. The full day of training was focused in the areas of Navigation (mostly for the SCG) and Maritime Situational Awareness (MSA). Both […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||456|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,832,2773|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.