AFTER A MONTH IN COMMAND OF OPERATION ATALANTA TASK FORCE 465, COMMODORE DIOGO ARROTEIA REFLECTS BRIEFLY ON THE MISSION AND ITS NEW MANDATE.January 11, 2021 - 12:05
First of all, I want to highlight the honour and pride that I feel while commanding these 293 women and men who, day and night, continuously ensure that the maritime domain in the Horn of Africa region is increasingly safer for merchant shipping and allows that international humanitarian aid reaches the Somali people. But is […]
Operation ATALANTA´s new mandate enters into force on 1st of January 2021. New tasks will reinforce the EU NAVFOR’s counter-piracy core responsibilities.December 30, 2020 - 16:50
On 01.01.2021, Council Decision (CFSP) 2020/2188 will enter into force, which will extend the mandate of the European Union Naval Force Somalia Operation Atalanta for another two years, until 31 December 2022. The new mandate also includes some new tasks reinforcing ATALANTA´s role as a maritime security provider in the area and built on its […]
EU NAVFOR ATALANTA PROVIDES SUPPORT TO UNODC YEMEN COAST GUARD REGENERATION STRATEGYDecember 15, 2020 - 14:52
On the 1st and 2nd of December, EU NAVFOR ATALANTA participated in a panel discussion organized by the United Nations Office for Drugs and Crime (UNODC) during which the Yemeni Coast Guard, and the UNODC Global Maritime Crime Programme (GMCP), launched the Yemen Coast Guard Regeneration Strategy and Implementation Plan. The two days of panel […]
Commodore Diogo Arroteia, Force Commander of the 36th rotation shares his first impressions on the operationDecember 14, 2020 - 12:33
“Another day rises for merchant shipping. Over the last decades, merchant ships have been affected by situations that jeopardize their safety all over the world and therefore having a huge impact on the world economy. One of the regions that has been most affected in the last decade is the Horn of Africa, due to […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||1,527|
|amisom vessels protected||704|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||2,190,1173|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.