A Farewell to the ITS Antonio Marceglia and the Staff of #OpATALANTA’s 32nd RotationDecember 3, 2019 - 12:02
Grazie all’equipaggio di Antonio Marceglia e alla Marina Militare Italiana per il loro contributo! Djibouti, 03 December 2019—December 3rd 2019 marks the end of EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA’s 32nd operation rotation. It has been a rewarding rotation with the ITS Antonio Marceglia acting as Operation ATALANTA Force Headquarters under command of Rear Admiral Armando […]
R. Adm. Armando Paolo Simi Hands Over Operation ATALANTA Force Command to Cdre. José António Vizinha MironesDecember 3, 2019 - 10:39
R. Adm. Armando Paolo Simi hands force command of Operation ATALANTA to Cdre. José António Vizinha Mirones on 03 December 2019. 03 December 2019—Today, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA welcomed a new Force Headquarters, the Spanish Flagship ESPS Victoria, which will be led for the 33rd operation rotation by Portuguese Commander Commodore José António Vizinha […]
King of Spain Felipe VI Visits EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA Headquarters in RotaNovember 29, 2019 - 13:30
“I would like to express how proud Spain is to host this headquarters, and I hope you are all fully comfortable living among us here.” El Rey Felipe VI El Rey de España Rota Naval Base, 29 November 2019—This morning, The King of Spain Felipe VI visited the new, multinational Operation Headquarters (OHQ) of the […]
Deputy Commander Rear Admiral Giovanni Battista Piegaja Represents Operation ATALANTA in Jordan and Saudi ArabiaNovember 26, 2019 - 14:36
Riyadh, 23 November 2019–This past week, Operation ATALANTA Deputy Commander Rear Admiral Giovanni Battista Piegaja travelled to Jordan for the second Red Sea Arena Security Dialogue, and then to Saudi Arabia for the first ever Saudi International Maritime Forum – 2019 (SIM Forum – 2019). The Red Sea Arena Security Dialogue The Red Sea Arena […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,890,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.