Operation ATALANTA Bids Farewell to Deputy Commander R. Adm. Giovanni Battista PiegajaJanuary 17, 2020 - 10:23
“It has been a privilege to finish my military career working for Operation ATALANTA. My 7 months with this operation will not be easily forgotten.” R. Adm. Giovanni Battista Piegaja Former Deputy Commander of Operation ATALANTA Rota, 17 January 2020—In a ceremony at the Operation ATALANTA Operation Headquarters (OHQ) on Thursday, Italian Deputy Commander (DCOM) […]
Statement by Operation ATALANTA on the passing of Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said of OmanJanuary 13, 2020 - 15:26
Rota, 13 January 2019—EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA has sadly learned of the passing of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said of the Sultanate of Oman. On behalf of European Union Naval Force Somalia, we would like to express our utmost condolences to His Majesty’s family and to the people and the Government […]
Force Commander Meets Key European Union Actors in MogadishuJanuary 9, 2020 - 12:16
“EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA is eager to contribute to the unity of effort of the European Union in Somalia.” Commodore José António Vizinha Mirones Operation ATALANTA Force Commander Mogadishu, 05 January 2019—In a trip to the area of operations this week, Force Commander Commodore José António Vizinha Mirones visited with important, key actors in […]
EU Ambassador to Kenya and Director General of Kenya Coast Guard Visit #OpATALANTA’s ESPS VictoriaDecember 18, 2019 - 15:46
“ATALANTA is more than ships. It is also about cooperation with regional navies and coast-guards and information-sharing with other actors in the Indian Ocean. Support of regional States and local leaders is paramount.” Commodore José António Vizinha Mirones Operation ATALANTA Force Commander 16 December 2019—During a recent port visit in Mombasa, Operation ATALANTA Force Commander […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,890,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.