EU NAVFOR SOMALIA, OPERATION ATALANTA IN THE EUROPEAN UNION DAY IN MOGADISHUMay 7, 2019 - 17:06
EU day event, celebrated last week in Mogadishu, was an important meeting for EU NAVFOR’s Operation Atalanta. The celebration had the presence of the Operation Atalanta’s Deputy Commander, Rear Admiral Marc Aussedat, and its Force Commander, Rear Admiral Ricardo A. Hernández, who joined a ceremony chaired by the European Union-EU Delegation to Somalia. EU partners […]
EU NAVFOR SOMALIA, OPERATION ATALANTA IN THE EUROPEAN UNION OPEN DAY IN BRUSSELSMay 7, 2019 - 17:00
EU NAVFOR’s Operation Atalanta celebrated EU Open day event last week in Brussels. The celebration, held in the European External Action Service- EEAS building, had the participation of all European Union missions and operations. We spoke to many European citizens about countering piracy off the coast of Somalia. During the ceremony, Operation Atalanta also had […]
ESPS Navarra delivers suspected pirates to Seychellois authoritiesApril 26, 2019 - 17:35
PIRACY ATTACK OFF THE COAST OF SOMALIA Suspects have been transferred to Seychellois Authorities. Rota, 26 April 2019—EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation Atalanta transferred five suspects to Seychellois authorities today after responding to piracy attacks on 21 April. Spanish flagship ESPS Navarra transported the five suspected pirates to Seychelles on the afternoon of 25 April. The […]
PIRACY ATTACK DETERRED OFF THE COAST OF SOMALIAApril 24, 2019 - 14:52
Early on 23 April, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation Atalanta successfully responded to a piracy incident that transpired over the course of the four previous days. The incident began on 19 April, when five suspected pirates captured a Yemeni dhow off the coast of Somalia. The pirates proceeded to navigate the along the coast, where they […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||456|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,832,2773|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.