OP ATALANTA CELEBRATES TENTH ANNIVERSARY WITH THANKS FROM INTERNATIONAL PARTNERSJanuary 10, 2019 - 13:53
EU NAVFOR relies on parterships to conduct business and they have been key to its successes over the last ten years. In December 2018, Op ATALANTA celebrated its tenth anniversary, an occasion commemorated in letters of thanks from international organisations who have been part of the counter-piracy partnerships with EU NAVFOR over the last ten […]
EU NAVFOR VESSEL RELAMPAGO CONDUCTS FRIENDLY APPROACH TO SOMALI FISHING VESSELJanuary 9, 2019 - 11:37
Friendly Approaches have helped to build mutual trust and understanding between counter-piracy naval forces and the local Somali community over the last 10 years. At the start of 2019, on the 2nd of January, the Spanish patrol vessel ESPS Relámpago conducted an approach to a Somali dhow as part of standing counter-piracy operations in the […]
INDIAN WARSHIP ESCORTS WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME VESSELJanuary 8, 2019 - 12:14
For the first time since counter-piracy deployments began in 2008, the Indian Navy has performed the escort of vital humanitarian aid for the UN’s World Food Programme, following an escort request by EU NAVFOR. On 24-25 December 2018, the Indian warship Sunayna escorted a WFP dhow transporting 360 tons of food aid from Bossaaso to […]
ONGOING COOPERATION WITH JAPAN: EU NAVFORDecember 24, 2018 - 14:25
Partnerships and cooperation are vital for the success of maritime security operations. Working alongside our Japanese partners increases capability and reach as we continue to deter, disrupt and repress piracy. The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force’s JS Ikazuchi and EU NAVFOR ship ESPS Relampago conducted a Passing Exercise (PASSEX) near Salalah on the 20th December 2018. […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||452|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,810,1803|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.