PIRACY ATTACK OFF THE COAST OF SOMALIAApril 23, 2019 - 15:35
On 21 April, fishing vessels FV Adria and FV Txori Argi were attacked by suspected pirates in the Indian Ocean, 280 NM off the coast of Somalia. The piracy attacks were thwarted, and the crew and vessels remained safe, thanks to the application of Best Management Practices (BMP) protection measures by the Masters, the crews […]
All stakeholders should not become complacent and continue to be vigilant across the High Risk AreaApril 23, 2019 - 12:34
On 17th April, the new leadership of EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation Atalanta co-chaired the 44th SHared Awareness and DE-confliction (SHADE) conference in Bahrain alongside the Combined Maritime Forces (CMF). The working relationship between EU NAVFOR, Independent Deployer’s India and Oman, the Maritime Trade Industry and CMF remains strong and steadfast continuing the highest priority in countering […]
EU NAVFOR COMMANDER MEETS KEY LEADERS IN MOGADISHUApril 15, 2019 - 15:36
EU NAVFOR Force Headquarters Commander, Rear Admiral Hernández arrived in Mogadishu today, where he met with colleagues of some of the international bodies working in Somalia. The meetings took place at the International Campus and at the UN Compound, near the Mogadishu International Airport. During the Commander’s visit, he met with—amongst others—the representatives of the […]
Students of the Maritime Operational Planning Course visited the ESPS NavarraApril 10, 2019 - 15:15
Members of the Maritime Operational Planning Course of the Eastern Africa Standby Force (EASF) visited the ESPS Navarra yesterday in Victoria, Seychelles. During the visit, Navarra officers delivered a presentation to EASF members about EU NAVFOR operations and procedures. EASF expressed their deepest gratitude and said the information conveyed in the presentation was exactly what […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||455|
|amisom vessels protected||139|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,817,2773|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.