EU NAVFOR Somalia participates in the Annual Meeting of the EU CSDP Human Rights and Gender Advisors to discuss future strategies and the launch of the New Gender Action Plan III and the New EU Human Rights and Democracy Action Plan.November 30, 2020 - 14:22
Rota, 27th of November 2020 – Human Rights and Gender advisors of EU CSDP institutions, missions and operations met for the 12th annual Meeting of Human Rights and Gender Advisers and Focal Points in CSDP Missions and Operations via VTC. Legal/Gender Advisor Major Rodrigo Lorenzo Ponce de León attended in representation of Operation ATALANTA. This […]
EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation Commander visits to Mogadishu to foster political dialogue between EU and Somali AuthoritiesNovember 30, 2020 - 12:20
Mogadishu, 9th – 13th November 2020 Operation Commander Major General Antonio Planells Palau travelled to Mogadishu between the 9th and 13th of November 2020 to participate in the Political Dialogue between the EU and Somali authorities on 11th November 2020. Besides his direct involvement in the conversations, General Planells met with representatives of the Maritime […]
Operation Atalanta Conducts Coordination Meeting with World Food ProgramNovember 25, 2020 - 14:55
World Food Programme is the UN leading humanitarian organization assisting 91.4 million people in 83 countries, each year saving and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience; an effort, which has been recognised by the 2020 Noble Peace Prize award. As their interventions, at a […]
OPERATION ATALANTA SAYS ‘FAREWELL’ TO THE 34TH ROTATION OF THE FHQ AND ESPS SANTA MARIANovember 24, 2020 - 15:35
ESPS Santa Maria concluded its rotation with Operation Atalanta on 16th of October after a very successful and busy rotation she initiated in June. The Spanish warship has been supporting the operation since 2011 and has provided an outstanding service in deterring, preventing and repressing piracy in the Horn of Africa Region. The 34th rotation […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||1,511|
|amisom vessels protected||704|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||2,178,0253|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.