EU NAVFOR Somalia at the Ministerial Conference on Maritime Security in the Western Indian Ocean and Plenary Session of CGPCSJune 26, 2019 - 07:52
Republic of Mauritius, 21 June 2019—This past week, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA attended the second Ministerial Conference on Maritime Security in the Western Indian Ocean and the 22nd Plenary Session of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (CGPCS). The Indian Ocean Commission (IOC) organised the event with the European Union […]
EU NAVFOR Somalia At the 11th Annual Meeting of Human Rights and Gender Advisers and Focal Points in CSDP Missions and OperationsJune 24, 2019 - 17:30
“Gender policies are at the core of the EU Global Policy.” Ambassador Mara Marinaki Brussels, 21 June 2019—This week, Human Rights and Gender advisers appointed to EU CSDP institutions, missions and operations attended the 11th annual Meeting of Human Rights and Gender Advisers and Focal Points in CSDP Missions and Operations at the Albert Borschette […]
Farewell to Swedish Contribution LtCol. Thomas DahlmarkJune 24, 2019 - 13:31
“He always knew how to steer our ship, even when we felt like we were in the reefs.” Rota, 24 June 2019—This week, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA Operation Headquarters bid farewell to long-serving, hard-working Swedish contribution, LtCol. Thomas Dahlmark. LtCol. Dahlmark served in Operation ATALANTA for two-and-a-half years, beginning his post in Northwood, UK, […]
EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA Recognises World Refugee Day 2019June 20, 2019 - 08:30
In Somalia, an estimated 2.6 million people have had to flee their homes because of insecurity. World Vision, 2019 Today, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA joins the United Nations Refugee Agency in recognising World Refugee Day, a day on which we honour the strength, courage and perseverance of millions of refugees. It is also a […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,849,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.