Force Commander Rear Admiral Simi Meets with Key Leaders in SeychellesOctober 16, 2019 - 13:10
16 October 2019—During a port visit in the Seychelles this week, Operation ATALANTA Force Commander Rear Admiral Armando Paolo Simi met with key leaders in the region to strengthen various partnerships. The engagements included meetings with French Ambassador H.E. Mr. Dominique Mas, EU Ambassador Mr. Vincent Degert, Attorney General Mr. Frank Ally and Leading Prosecutor […]
Seventh Annual Company Security Officer (CSO) / National Maritime Interagency Advisory Group (NIAG) International MeetingOctober 3, 2019 - 10:06
19 September 2019–Operation-Interagency staff officer Lt CDR Diego Canovas-Canovas represented EU NAVFOR Somalia OHQ at the Seventh Annual Company Security Officer (CSO) / National Maritime Interagency Advisory Group (NIAG) International Meeting, in Baltimore, Maryland US Maritime Administration (MARAD) organized the meeting in MITAGS Campus, and attendees included company security officers, high representatives of the shipping […]
V. Adm. Martorell Hands Over Operation ATALANTA Command to Major General PlanellsOctober 1, 2019 - 13:29
1 October 2019—This morning, Vice Admiral Antonio Martorell Lacave (Spanish Navy) officially handed over command of EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA to Major General Antonio Planells Palau (Spanish Marine Corps). In his six-month role as Operation Commander, one of Vice Admiral Martorell’s main endeavours was maintaining operational stability throughout the transfer of the EU NAVFOR […]
EU NAVFOR Somalia MPRAs Fly In Support of CTF-151 Focused OperationSeptember 28, 2019 - 10:00
EU NAVFOR Somalia MPRAs Fly In Support of CTF-151 Focused Operation 28 September 2019—This week, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA’s German Maritime Patrol Reconnaissance Aircraft supported a multi-national counter-piracy operation led by Combined Task Force 151 (CTF 151) in the Gulf of Aden. The assets involved in Focused Operation “King Crab” were from nine different […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,890,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.