New Force Commander Commodore José António Vizinha Mirones Meets Regional PartnersDecember 11, 2019 - 10:38
10 December 2019—In a visit to Djibouti this past week, new Operation ATALANTA Force Commander Commodore José António Vizinha Mirones (Portuguese Navy) met with various key leaders and partners for the first time since taking command on 03 December. Over the course of his trip, the Force Commander took the opportunity to become acquainted with […]
#OpATALANTA’s ESPS Victoria & Helicopter Carry Out Exercises with United States Personnel Recovery Task ForceDecember 10, 2019 - 11:12
Djibouti, 07 December 2019—EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA flagship the ESPS Victoria and her SH-60B helicopter carried out a variety of training exercises with the United States Personnel Recovery Task Force (PRTF) this week. The training covered a various activities including: HELOCAST practices with reembarkation via rope ladder and hoist Personal recovery activation and fast […]
Operation ATALANTA Warship ESPS Victoria Conducts Maritime Capacity Builiding with Djiboutian NavyDecember 10, 2019 - 09:08
“We are very happy to conduct this training with our Djiboutian Navy colleagues and to provide them with our tactical experience on maritime security operations.” Eric Hellman Muñoz ESPS Victoria Boarding Officer Djibouti, 08 December 2019—During a recent port visit in Djibouti, Operation ATALANTA flagship ESPS Victoria conducted Maritime Capacity Building (MCB) training with the […]
A Farewell to the ITS Antonio Marceglia and the Staff of #OpATALANTA’s 32nd RotationDecember 3, 2019 - 12:02
Grazie all’equipaggio di Antonio Marceglia e alla Marina Militare Italiana per il loro contributo! Djibouti, 03 December 2019—December 3rd 2019 marks the end of EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA’s 32nd operation rotation. It has been a rewarding rotation with the ITS Antonio Marceglia acting as Operation ATALANTA Force Headquarters under command of Rear Admiral Armando […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,890,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.