Operation ATALANTA Welcomes ESPS CANARIASJuly 18, 2019 - 08:53
Rota, 18 July 2019—Today, EU NAVFOR Somalia officially welcomed the ESPS CANARIAS as she began her most recent deployment with Operation ATALANTA. The ESPS CANARIAS will sail with Operation ATALANTA alongside the ITS MARCEGLIA from the end of July 2019 until early November 2019, countering piracy and monitoring fishing activity off the Somali coast. Spain […]
OHQ Welcomes Visit from INTERTANKO Marine Director, Mr. Phillip BelcherJuly 10, 2019 - 16:35
Rota, 10 July 2019–As part of key EU NAVFOR relations with the shipping industry at a strategic level, Operation ATALANTA Operation Headquarters (OHQ) welcomed a visit today from Mr. Phillip Belcher, Marine Director at INTERTANKO. Mr. Belcher visited to hold a meeting regarding the latest developments in counter-piracy operations and the last incidents in the […]
EEAS Deputy Secretary General Pedro Serrano visits EU NAVFOR’s Maritime Security Centre Horn of Africa (MSCHOA)July 5, 2019 - 11:04
Brest, 04 July 2019—On Thursday, European External Action Service (EEAS) Deputy Secretary General of Common Security and Defense Policy (CSDP) and Crisis Response, Mr. Pedro Serrano visited EU NAVFOR Operation ATALANTA’s Maritime Security Centre Horn of Africa (MSCHOA). The visit took place during Mr. Serrano’s visit to the Maritime Information Cooperation & Awareness (MICA) Center, […]
Deputy Commander R. Adm. Xavier Larreur de Farcy de Pontfarcy Hands Over Command to R. Adm. Giovanni Battista PiegajaJuly 5, 2019 - 07:11
“The work we do is very important, and this operation is not at its end.” R. Adm. Xavier Larreur de Farcy de Pontfarcy Rota, 04 July 2019—In a ceremony at the Operation ATALANTA Operation Headquarters (OHQ) on Thursday, French Deputy Commander (DCOM) R. Adm. Xavier Larreur de Farcy de Pontfarcy handed over Deputy Command to […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||486|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,891,5093|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.