EU NAVFOR SOMALIA REACTS ON POSSIBLE HIJACKING OF A SHIP AT THE HORN OF AFRICAAugust 22, 2020 - 22:27
Rota, August 21st, 2020 EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation Atalanta has completed incident response procedures in response to a possible act of piracy off the Coast of Somalia with the support of a Japanese aircraft of the Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) and in close coordination with local authorities in Somalia.On August 18th, EU NAVFOR OHQ Joint […]
EU NAVFOR OPERATION ATALANTA AND HER SPANISH FRIGATE SANTA MARÍA RECEIVED A DISTRESS CALL FROM A DRIFTING TUG SHIP 200 NM AWAY. THE TUG HAD BEEN DRIFTING FOR MORE THAN 10 DAYS WITH NO WATER OR FOOD.July 28, 2020 - 11:57
“European Union Naval Force Operation Atalanta continues fighting piracy, but we are also relevant in providing safety and security in these waters, to the international community and to the Somalian people” RAdm Ignacio Villanueva Serrano. 34th Rotation Force Commander European Naval Force Operation Atalanta and her Spanish frigate Santa María (ESPS STM) received a distress […]
Launch Event of the State of Maritime Piracy 2019 hosted by UNODC’s Global maritime Crime Programme and Stable SeasJuly 23, 2020 - 15:43
Last 14 of July, Special Advisor for Industry Relations Mr Simon Church represented EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation Atalanta at a webinar on the State of Maritime Piracy in 2019. Mr Church was accompanied by an Intel representative and Joint Operation Centre Coordinator Lt CDR Diego Canovas Canovas. Stable Seas, a program of One Earth Future, […]
Fred Olsen Bajamar Express crosses the Gulf of Aden under close monitoring of EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation AtalantaJuly 20, 2020 - 12:03
The new trimaran Bajamar Expess of the Fred Olsen Express commercial ferry company traveling from Australia towards the Canary Islands requested support of EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation Atalanta for the transit through the International Recommended Transit Corridor. The European Union launched the European Union Naval Force ATALANTA (EU NAVFOR) in December 2008 within the framework […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||1,480|
|amisom vessels protected||704|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||2,178,0053|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.