Operation ATALANTA bids farewell to Deputy Commander Rear Admiral Corrado CampanaFebruary 24, 2021 - 15:46
“The continuous effort of Operation ATALANTA and the work done by the naval and air assets assigned to the FHQ have strongly contributed to the suppression of the dangerous phenomenon of piracy in the West Indian Ocean, which is nevertheless not yet eradicated. The presence and the activities of EU NAVFOR Somalia is of significant […]
THE IMPORTANCE OF AIR RESOURCES IN OPERATION ATALANTAFebruary 22, 2021 - 15:19
All means deployed in Operation ATALANTA bring added value for the execution of the mission depending on their characteristics. However, due to their versatility and flexibility, aerial assets are those who provide unique operational capabilities which cannot be achieved by other means. The most used aerial asset in EU NAVFOR Somalia are the Maritime Patrol […]
ESPS Castilla rejoins Operation ATALANTA full-speedFebruary 20, 2021 - 16:17
Galicia-class landing platform dock 🇪🇸ESPS Castilla , equipped with a AB212plus 🚁 and a RPAS ScanEagle, joined Operation Atalanta this week. Over the next 4 months, she will be the EU NAVFOR flagship, hosting the Force Headquarters of the operation. The Castilla kicks off her activities full-speed with a joint exercise with 🇯🇵JS Ariake of […]
EU NAVFOR SOMALIA – OPERATION ATALANTA HOLDS CHANGE OF COMMAND CEREMONY AT ROTA NAVAL BASEFebruary 19, 2021 - 13:03
Vice Admiral Eugenio Díaz del Río Jáudenes relieves Major General Antonio Planells Palau as Operation Commander, EU NAVFOR Somalia – Operation ATALANTA Rota, February 19th, 2021 — during the change of command ceremony, Major General (Spanish Marine Corps) Antonio Planells Palau, Operation Commander European Naval Force Somalia – Operation ATALANTA, changed responsibility with Vice Admiral […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||1,541|
|amisom vessels protected||704|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||2,222,3503|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.