EU NAVFOR Force Commander Gets Acquainted With Key Leaders in BossassoAugust 21, 2019 - 08:37
Bossasso, 19 August 2019—This week, EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation Atalanta Force Commander Rear Admiral Armando Paolo Simi met with various key leaders in Bossasso. Among the authorities with whom R. Adm. Simi met were representatives from the Puntland Ministry of Maritime Transport, Ports and Maritime Crime Prevention, EU NAVFOR sister mission EUCAP Somalia, the Food […]
Force Commander R. Adm. Simi Meets with Key Partners in MogadishuAugust 5, 2019 - 12:44
In various meetings with key partners in Mogadishu, the new Force Commander became familiarized with international stakeholders acting in Somalia. Mogadishu, 1 August 2019–On 31 July 2019, Force Commander of EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA, Rear Admiral Armando Paolo Simi arrived in Mogadishu with members of his staff. R. Adm. Simi’s two-day stay in the […]
Operation ATALANTA Deputy Commander Meets with French Forces in DjiboutiJuly 31, 2019 - 09:57
During a meeting with the French Forces stationed in Djibouti (FFDJ), Operation ATALANTA Deputy Commander R. Adm. Giovanni Battista Piegaja met with French Base Commander Colonel Francois Tricot and Deputy COMFOR FFDJ Colonel Emmanuel Antoine.
Transfer of Command for Operation ATALANTA P-3M Orion Air DetachmentJuly 30, 2019 - 13:17
Djibouti, 24 July 2019—During a ceremony on the French Armed Forces Base (BA188) in Djibouti, where the Spanish Operation ATALANTA contingent P-3M Orion aircraft is deployed, Lt. Col. José Ignacio Jaime Peñuela officially transferred command to Lt. Col. Miguel Ángel Sáez Nievas. The P-3M Orion will continue under Lt. Col. Nievas’ command for its 35th […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,890,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.