Forces of Operation ATALANTA
Deter, prevent and repress acts of piracy and armed robbery off the Somali coast. EU Naval Force protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) delivering aid to displaced persons in Somalia .
EU Naval Force Somalia – Operation ATALANTA plays a vital role in the EU’s Common Security and Defence Policy. It supports the Federal Government of Somalia in the combined effort for peace and stability in Somalia and the Horn of Africa and the development and improvement of Maritime security in the region.
Since its launch in 2008 as first EU naval operation, EU NAVFOR Somalia:
- Holds a 100% success rate in protecting WFP vessels delivering humanitarian aid to internally displaced and refugees in Somalia;
- Ensures the protection of vulnerable vessels within the Area of Operations;
- Deters, prevents and represses acts of piracy and armed robbery at sea off the coast of Somalia;
- Cooperates and responds to illicit maritime flows, including illicit trade financing terrorism;
- Supports the EU Integrated Approach for Somalia and the Horn of Africa together with its two EU sister missions, EUCAP Somalia and EU TM Somalia, the EU Delegation to Somalia and EU Special Representative to the Horn of Africa;
- Acts as a fundamental tool in the EU’s Naval Diplomacy for the Indo-Pacific;
- Cooperates and supports all international organisations, naval forces and independent deployers present in the Area of Operations, as CMF and EMASOH;
- Provides a unique legal framework to transfer pirates to regional states for their prosecution.